Wayanad flora #11 | Climber-Red fruit IdReq 24Mar2011

raghu ananth

Mar 24, 2011, 9:48:04 AM3/24/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Wayanad flora #11 | Climber-Red fruit IdReq 24Mar2011

Date/Time-10 Jan 2011
Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- Sulthan Battery, Waynaad, Kerala
Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-, Garden
Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Climber
Height/Length-approx - 30 feet, Climbing on  a tree,
Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Shape - ~Heart, Margin -Smooth, Size-10 cms approx., almost dry- leaves/fruit
Inflorescence Type/ Size-
Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts - No flowers
Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- Red, 9cms, dry fruit-brown,

Regards
Raghu

DSC_1164a.jpg
DSC_1164b.jpg
DSC_1162c.jpg
DSC_1160b.jpg

Balkar Arya

Mar 24, 2011, 12:07:42 PM3/24/11
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Cucurbitaceae
May be Trichosanthes??

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Neil Soares

Mar 24, 2011, 1:52:41 PM3/24/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, raghu ananth
Hi,
 This is Solena amplexicaulis [S.heterophylla]. Sending you one of my photographs taken at my farm. Also please check the archives of this group for my other photographs of this.
                          Regards.
                           Neil Soares.

--- On Thu, 3/24/11, raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Solena amplexicaulis.jpg

Smilax004

Mar 25, 2011, 12:56:48 AM3/25/11
to efloraofindia
I am just curious why it is called amplexicaulis? The leaf is not
amplexicaulis in the picture.

Regards
Giby

On Mar 24, 10:52 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  This is Solena amplexicaulis [S.heterophylla]. Sending you one of my photographs taken at my farm. Also please check the archives of this group for my other photographs of this.
>                           Regards.
>                            Neil Soares.

Vijayasankar

Mar 25, 2011, 11:10:58 AM3/25/11
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
Dear Giby,

Solena amplexicaulis is a highly polymorphic species with lots of variation in the shape & size of leaves and fruits and also in the length of petiole, etc.
May be that is the reason it has got several synonyms. One of the synonyms, S. heterophylla, also denotes the variable nature of leaves in this plant (for nonbotanists: hetero=different; phylla=leaves).
Dr.K.N.Gandhi worked on its nomenclature to bring out clarifications. Dr. Chakravarty, who revised this family for BSI's Flora of India opined that "this is an extremely
heteromorphic species amongst the Cucurbits" and he also suggested segregation of this taxon into many varieties and forms.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Giby Kuriakose

Mar 25, 2011, 11:50:01 AM3/25/11
to Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Dear Vijaysankar,

Thanks for the clarification and information on the species.

Regards
Giby
--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

JM Garg

Dec 8, 2014, 5:39:50 AM12/8/14
to efloraofindia
I think it should be Solena heterophylla Lour. subsp. heterophylla as per DeWilde_Solena_Blumea2004 (1).pdf
DSC_1164a.jpg
DSC_1164b.jpg
DSC_1162c.jpg
DSC_1160b.jpg