confirmation

Satish Nikam

Feb 5, 2011, 6:55:08 AM2/5/11
to Indiantrees Pics
dear friends,
                  neilji is Actinodaphne angustifolia and augustifolia the same,because google gives results only for angustifolia.Besides shrikantji earlier had identified this as angustifolia(Pisa in leaf buds)please clarify
thanks
regards
satish nikam

Dinesh Valke

Feb 5, 2011, 7:04:22 AM2/5/11
to Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
Satish ji,

augustifolia is a valid epithet ... however, there is no such species called Actinodaphne augustifolia.
Actinodaphne angustifolia is a valid name, the plant is native of our country.

Regards
Dinesh.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 5, 2011, 7:30:38 AM2/5/11
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Nikam, Indiantrees Pics
There is no word called augustifolia in my knowledge. Its angustifolia
which means 'narrow leaves'. This may also be with reference to the
leaf base which gradually narrows down on the petiole. Some times such
names are also with reference to another similar looking plant, that
might have a different shape of leaf. For example Thelasis longifolia.
There is nothing so long about the leaf of this plant, but its with
reference to another plant which is called Thelasis pygmaea. 'pygmaea'
means short with reference to short stature of the second taxa.

During my school time in 11th standard, we came across a plant we know
as Typha angustifolia. I asked my teacher about why it is
angustifolia, shouldn't it be augustifolia?
He asked me, "why?".
And I scratching my head answered, "may be the leaves come out during
the month of august"....:))))).
And he smiled said, "no its angustifolia".
I asked him why, But he never answered!!!
But now I know :).

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Dinesh Valke

Feb 5, 2011, 9:19:49 AM2/5/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Indiantrees Pics
Deliberate Google search of augustifolia yields following:

Araucaria augustifolia
Arnica augustifolia
Elaeagnus augustifolia
Lavandula augustifolia
Malus augustifolia
Populus augustifolia
Porlieria augustifolia
Stenogyne augustifolia
Typha augustifolia

Some OR all of these words may carry typo error ... it is worth observing that some of these appear in reputed sites and papers.

augustifolia is available in Dave's Garden Botanary, -- meaning: stately, noble foliage
http://davesgarden.com/guides/botanary/search.php?search_text=augustifolia&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Regards
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 5, 2011, 9:48:10 AM2/5/11
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Indiantrees Pics

As mentioned by Pankaj there is no specific epithet augustifolia. All cases mentioned by Dinesh ji are spelling error where n got substituted by u. While citing the web I have a thumb rule. Don't believe isolated mention, always follow  the majority, and it works. If a particular thing is  mentioned 100 times, there are chances that there are up to 10 per cent errors, but very rarely that there are more than 50 per cent errors.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Feb 5, 2011, 10:32:01 AM2/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Indiantrees Pics
... it is very heartening to find the bluff floating on internet getting skimmed off by our group.
Regards
Dinesh.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 5, 2011, 12:07:18 PM2/5/11
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Indiantrees Pics
Dear Dinesh Sir,
Its fun, but you know, all the plant names you have provided are
actually incorrect as all those names are angustifolia.
Some are mistakes while some seem to be copy of the mistakes. I am not
saying that there is no plant with actually, augustifolia as species
epithet, just that I dont know any!!
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 5, 2011, 12:09:03 PM2/5/11
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, Indiantrees Pics
IPNI search found 9 matches of augustifolia

Thus augustifolia is valid though not examples cited by Satish ji or Dinesh ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 5, 2011, 12:17:54 PM2/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Indiantrees Pics
I tried all these from IPNI for fun.
Guess what, same names with angustifolia also exist!!! So I didnt add
that information.
Eg.

Iresine augustifolia Euphrasen Beskr. St. Barthel. 165.
Iresine angustifolia Hort. ex Moq. Prodr. (DC.) 13(2): 343. 1849

Fockea augustifolia K.Schum. Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 17(1-2): 146. 1893
Fockea angustifolia K.Schum. Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 17(1-2): 146. 1893 [9
May 1893] ; in IK Suppl. 1 as 'augustifolia'

In both case seems, second names are valid. I didnt try for rest.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 5, 2011, 12:50:24 PM2/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Indiantrees Pics
Interestingly, for once i thought I found one atleast
Hortonia augustifolia Trim. Syst. Cat. Fl. Pl. Ceylon 75 (1885).

So just to crosscheck, I looked into the protologue, Systematic
Catalogue of the Flowering Plants and Ferns Indigenous to or Growing
Wild in Ceylon.by Trimen available on:

http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924000414510#page/n83/mode/2up

Please go to page 83 on the slider which takes you to page 75 and find
out yourself!!!
Regards
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 5, 2011, 10:05:59 PM2/5/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, Indiantrees Pics
It is really interesting

    • Asclepiadaceae Fockea angustifolia K.Schum. -- Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 17(1-2): 146. 1893 [9 May 1893] ; in IK Suppl. 1 as 'augustifolia' (IK)

      (augustifolia again missing from The Plant List)

  • IPNI has no entry for Nauclea angustifolia
    (The plant list has Nauclea angustifolia Havil. with same reference  J. Linn. Soc., Bot. 33: 55 1897. but no entry for Nauclea augustifolia)

    The fun continues but it perhaps emerges

    1. The Plant List is fast catching up
    2. Does specific epithet augustifolia/ium/ius really exist for any genus?
    3. Now only names under Pteropsis need to be checked thoroughly

  • --
    Dr. Gurcharan Singh
    Retired  Associate Professor
    Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
    http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 6, 2011, 1:37:07 AM2/6/11
to efloraofindia
Permit me to add etymological meaning of angustifolia as 'narrow-
leaved'. Does that sort out the issue? Regards,

On Feb 6, 8:05 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> K.Schum.<http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do?id=1004792-1&back_page=...>
>        -- Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 17(1-2): 146. 1893 [9 May 1893] ; in IK Suppl. 1
>       as 'augustifolia' (IK)
>
>       (augustifolia again missing from The Plant List)
>
>    -
>
>    Asteraceae *Laggera* *augustifolia*
> Hayata<http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do;jsessionid=EA37D0F1C49F...>
>     -- Icon. Pl. Formosan. 8: 54. 1919 [25 Mar 1919] (IK)
>
>    IPNI does not have entry for Laggera angustifolia
>
>    (The Plant List has *Laggera* *alata* var. *angustifolia* (Hayata)
> Yamam.<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/gcc-67324> as
>    well as *Laggera* *angustifolia*
> Hayata<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/gcc-112194> but
>    none for Laggera augustifolia)
>
>    -
>
>    Ebenaceae *Diospyros* *augustifolia* (Miq.)
> Kosterm.<http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do;jsessionid=EA37D0F1C49F...>
>     -- Ceylon J. Sci., Biol. Sci. 12(2): 106 (1977). (IK)
>
>    -
>
>       Ebenaceae *Diospyros* *angustifolia* Audib. ex
> Spach<http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do?id=322077-1&back_page=%...>
>        -- Hist. Nat. Vég. (Spach) 9: 405. 1840 [15 Aug 1840] (IK)
>
>       (The Plant List has *Diospyros* *angustifolia* Audib. ex
> Spach<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2769365> as
>       well as *Diospyros* *angustifolia* (Miq.)
> Kosterm.<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2769366>
> [Illegitimate]
>       but not Diospyros augustifolia)
>
>    -
>
>    Lecythidaceae *Eschweilera* *augustifolia*
> Mart.<http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do;jsessionid=EA37D0F1C49F...>
>     -- Flora 20(2, Beibl.): 89. 1837 (IK)
>
>    IPNI does not have an entry for *Eschweilera angustifolia*
>
>    (The Plant List has *Eschweilera* *angustifolia*
> Mart.<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-313756> but
>    no entry for Eschweilera augustifolia)
>
>    -
>
>    Monimiaceae *Hortonia* *augustifolia*
> Trim.<http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do;jsessionid=EA37D0F1C49F...>
>     -- Syst. Cat. Fl. Pl. Ceylon (1885) 75 et Handl. Fl. Ceyl. iii. 437.
>    (IK)
>
>    IPNI does not have an entry for Hortonia Hortonia angustifolia
>
>    (The Plant has both *Hortonia* *angustifolia*
> Trim.<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/tro-21200346> as
>    well as *Hortonia* *augustifolia*
> Trimen<http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-2853685> with
>    same citation and same page number) but then we have seen the link
>
>    http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924000414510#page/n83/mode/2up
>
>    -
>
>    Orchidaceae *Eria* *augustifolia* Ridl. ex
> Stapf<http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idPlantNameSearch.do;jsessionid=EA37D0F1C49F...>
>     -- Trans. Linn. Soc. London, Bot. 4(2): 237. 1894 [1894-96 publ. Dec
>    1894] (IK)
>
>    IPNI does not have an entry for Eria angustifolia
>
>    (The Plant List has *Eria* *angustifolia*

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 6, 2011, 1:56:15 AM2/6/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Shrikant ji
Issue is:
Is there really a valid specific epithet augustifolia?
Our analysis points perhaps it is not.
The meaning of angustifolia was explained by Pankaj ji in his first post in the thread.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 6, 2011, 2:03:53 AM2/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Indiantrees Pics
Nice and tiring work that must have been.
Thanks for sharing.
You took so much time and effort so I was kind of ashamed, hence i
tried to get whatever protologues I could and these are the
confirmations after checking the original descriptions:

Fockea angustifolia K.Schum. Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 17(1-2): 146. (1893).

Laggera angustifolia Hayata Icon. Pl. Formosan. 8: 54. (1919).

Eria angustifolia Ridl., Trans. Linn. Soc. London, Bot. 4: 237 (1894).

Diospyros angustifolia Audi. ex Spach Hist. Nat. Vég. (Spach) 9: 405.
(1840) [this should be correct according to ICBN, Priority of
Publication)

Eschweilera angustifolia Mart. Flora 20 (2, Beibl.): 89. (1837).

Hortonia angustifolia Trim. -- Syst. Cat. Fl. Pl. Ceylon (1885).

Please find the protologues attached.
Unfortunately, I could not find the rest.
Regards
Pankaj

DIOSPYROS ANGUSTIFOLIA.jpg
ERIA ANGUSTIFOLIA.jpg
Eschweilera angustifolia.jpg
Fockea angustifolia.jpg
HORTONIA ANGUSTIFOLIA.jpg
LAGGERA ANGUSTIFOLIA.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 6, 2011, 1:43:29 PM2/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Indiantrees Pics
Hello All,

I had sent a mail to Dr. K.N. Gandhi, Senior Nomenclatural Registrar
at Harvard University and he was kind enough to follow and has already
made necessary corrections on the website of IPNI for angustifolia.
Many thanks to him.

According to him, one may name a plant with the epithet augustifol-"
if the taxon has "augustus" (= majestic) leaf. But he cant recall if
anyone did so.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 6, 2011, 1:46:40 PM2/6/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Indiantrees Pics
I would request Dinesh sir and Garg sir to make this as one of the
highlights on the website under the heading, ANGUSTIFOLIA AND
AUGUSTIFOLIA ISSUE. or may be ANGUSTIFOLIA VS. AUGUSTIFOLIA :)).

Regards
Pankaj