Fwd: LADY'S SLIPPER

J.M. Garg

Jan 25, 2011, 3:34:21 AM1/25/11
to efloraofindia
Forwarding pl.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Col Bimal Sarkar <colbima...@yahoo.com>
Date: 24 January 2011 19:07
Subject: LADY'S SLIPPER

Dear Friend,
            Those of you who love orchids,must be familiar with Lady's Slipper (Common name of an orchid ).There are different variety of this orchid.One such variety grows in the wild in Arunachal Pradesh.In 2002,one research scholar of Defence Research Laboratory ,presented me with a sapling of a Lady's Slipper (Cypripedium bellatulum).I put the same in a pot at Tezpur.The plant survived.One Dr Chakraborty from Guahahi University who is supposed to be an expert on the orchids of Arunachal Pradesh told me that the plant will not bloom in the plains,even though it may survive.I carried the plat to Binnaguri with me and we saw the flowers there in 2004.I carried the plant with me at Cooch Behar in 2005.We got flowers for two years,after that the plant parished.Attaching the image of this beautiful flower.I am sure you will like it.
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix or https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (more than 1500 members & 60,000 messages on 15/1/11 & with a database of around 4450 species on 15/12/10)

Lady's slipper.jpg

Smita Raskar

Jan 25, 2011, 4:45:07 AM1/25/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
 Beautiful!! Orchid is Amazing creation of mother nature.... i love Orchids so much:):)
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

mani nair

Jan 25, 2011, 4:53:08 AM1/25/11
to Smita Raskar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Beautiful Orchid.   I have seen these orchid plants for sale during a plants exhibition in Mumbai.   It was prized around 300/- without flower.  The vendor told me that it will flower in a year.   I want to confirm whether it will flower in the Mumbai climate?

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 25, 2011, 5:05:59 AM1/25/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
This is not P. bellatulum. But this lookd like one of the lady slipper
orchids from the schedules of Indian wildlife protection act of india.
I need front view of this. This might be Paphiopedilum fairrieanum or
its hybrid.
Regards
Pankaj

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Balkar Arya

Jan 25, 2011, 8:31:14 AM1/25/11
to Pankaj Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Good shot
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Katarina

Jan 25, 2011, 1:15:37 PM1/25/11
to efloraofindia
Definitively not P.bellatulum which is white with small purple spots.
P.faireanum looks a bit like this but I think it is a hybrid. Hard to
tell which one as orchid people are producing new all the time.

About growing in Mumbai. Must be possible if given the right
conditions. There are many species of Paphiopedilums so their specific
requirements vary. Some prefer cold winter (+10) while other want a
tropical climate year around. Generally hybrids are said to be easier
to grow.

300 is quite cheap for a Pahpiopedilum but remember, often plants are
sold quite small so that "only one year to flowering" easily becomes 5
years and then it died.....

Regards
Katarina
> > J.M.Garg (jmga...@gmail.com)
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jmgarg1
> > 'Creating awareness of Indian Flora & Fauna'
> > The whole world uses my Image Resource of more than a thousand species &
> > eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged
> > alphabetically & place-wise):
> >http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:J.M.Garg. You can also use them
> > for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.
> > For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora,
> > please visit/ join our Google e-group-
> > Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepixor
> >https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (more than 1500 members &
> > 60,000 messages on 15/1/11 & with a database of around 4450 species on
> > 15/12/10)
>
> --
> "TAXONOMISTS GETTING EXTINCT AND SPECIES DATA DEFICIENT !!"
>
> Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
> Research Associate
> Greater Kailash Sacred Landscape Project
> Department of Habitat Ecology
> Wildlife Institute of India
> Post Box # 18
> Dehradun - 248001, India- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 25, 2011, 1:24:52 PM1/25/11
to Katarina, efloraofindia
Yeah I forgot to add, trust me 300/- is nearly 30% of the price in
which they are actually sold.... so its really cheap....
If you have good green house and water supply then you can grow them
nicely in Mumbai...but not all...
Pankaj

J.M. Garg

May 15, 2011, 12:07:02 PM5/15/11
to efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar, A P, katarina...@emg.umu.se, sahani...@gmail.com, navend...@gmail.com
A reply:
"It can be anything but a hybrid.I lost this orchid.Sending a front view will not be possible.

Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942"