Fruits & Vegetables week: Sechium edule from California

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 2, 2011, 1:28:19 PM1/2/11
to efloraofindia
Sechium edule (Jacq.) Sw., Fl. Ind. occid. 2:1150. 1800
Often grown and sold in Sikkim, Darjeeling and other Indian hill stations, now also available in stores elsewhere
This one was photographed from California in September, 2009, often sold in stores in California under the name Chayote squash

Common names: chayote, chayote squash, vegetable pear
Local names: chow chow, squashiskus (Nepal).

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Sechium-edule-Chayote-fruit-market.jpg
Sechium-edule-fruit.jpg
Sechium-edule-male.jpg
Sechium-edule-plant.jpg

Jency Samuel

Jan 2, 2011, 1:56:37 PM1/2/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
I remember reading about a farmer in the US or Canada who encased these tender ones in some sort of a plastic mould - shaped like the faces of leaders - so that when they ripened they took the shape of the mould. The one that I remember distinctly is that of Bush senior. May be it was during the Iraq war.
Jency

tanay bose

Jan 2, 2011, 9:13:29 PM1/2/11
to Jency Samuel, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Jency Ji this is really funny
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 4, 2011, 11:22:28 AM1/4/11
to tanay bose, Jency Samuel, efloraofindia
Dear Samuel

Really interesting information