Flora of Panipat District- Cucurbita pepo

Balkar Arya

Oct 10, 2010, 1:54:17 PM10/10/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All
C pepo id of ssp etc pls

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
tn_Cucurbit pepo1.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo10.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo11.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo2.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo3.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo4.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo5.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo6.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo7.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo8.JPG
tn_Cucurbit pepo9.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 10, 2010, 2:37:48 PM10/10/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar ji
Can you tell what do we call this fruit in English or our language.
To me large leafy calyx lobes suggest C. moschata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Oct 10, 2010, 8:26:30 PM10/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix

We call it Petha or somewhere Kaddu

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 12, 2010, 10:48:43 AM10/12/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar ji
Your this cucurbit is appearing interesting to me. I had called it C. moschata largely on the basis of large leafy calyx lobes, but having seen your photographs more critically, I fear it may be none of the two. The hairy young ovary and leaves, I think  may not identify this to be another Benincasa hispida. Perhaps both (including C. maxima) are known as Petha, one we commonly cook the Halwan kadu has yellow flesh and mostly orange yellow in colour (that could be your plant if yellow halwa kadu), whereas Agra Petha is white inside and ashy or whitish outside and is Benincasa hispida. May be you can check on ripe fruits to confirm.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Oct 12, 2010, 11:14:08 AM10/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Sir
I think flesh is yellow, I'll also try to to check again. This is cultivated aswell as found wild. Because seedy portion of ripned fruit always thrown out on roadside areas with cowdung and it appears there also. However fruits are used for preparing vegetable from both cultivated and wild plants. But it is not used for preparation of Halwa as per my information.
Thanks

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 12, 2010, 12:12:53 PM10/12/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yes Balkar ji
This happens with many plants including tomato, often growing on trash and dung heaps. Such situations are better known as escapes and not wild. So now we have to look for three pethas: Agra ka petha (Benincasa hispida for sure) with white flesh, Petha cooked as vegetable and Halwa Kadu (both with yellow flesh). The last two could be one C. maxima, C. moschata, or C. pepo. Which two would be  these two, would be interesting to resolve.

Literature does not help much.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Oct 12, 2010, 12:22:19 PM10/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharan Ji
Lets wait for more inputs from members

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 12, 2010, 12:29:40 PM10/12/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar ji
A very good information how to differentiate common Cucurbita species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Oct 12, 2010, 12:38:08 PM10/12/10
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
I think it is the pumpkin. I base my opinion on two factors. The last
picture has white lines, this normally does not come in ash gourd or
the Agra Petha. The 4th picture also indicates it must be the orange
coloured pumpkin. In any case, I think we better wait for some experts
to express their opinion.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 12, 2010, 1:28:46 PM10/12/10
to Yazdy Palia, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yazdi ji
Pumpkin it is, but the question is which species: C. maxima, C. moschata, P. mixta, C. filicifolia, C. pepo and even sometimes Benincasa hispida are all known as pumkins. Same is the true for word squash.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Oct 13, 2010, 1:31:39 AM10/13/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
I think it is the yellow flesh pumpkin. which would that be sir? I
have a couple of vines of the ash gourd and the yellow fleshed one,
shall just try and send the pictures a little later.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 12:43:39 PM10/13/10
to Yazdy Palia, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Fixing species of pumkins is really a tough job, leaves and flowers don't help much (although C. moschata and C. mixta have white bloches on leaves). I think in the ultimate analysis fruit stalk and point of its attachment may help in fixing the exact identity.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Oct 20, 2010, 9:24:46 AM10/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
Am attaching the pictures of plant, leaves, fruit and female flower of
curcubita Moshchata.
Regards
Yazdy.
DSCN3829.JPG
DSCN3825.JPG
DSCN3826.JPG
DSCN3828.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2010, 9:54:49 AM10/20/10
to Yazdy Palia, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Yazdy ji
I hope you are right. Let us wait for the ripe fruits also. Please try to find exact local and English name of this. Simple pumpkin or squash sometimes does not help much.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Oct 20, 2010, 10:29:39 AM10/20/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji
Copying the link for ash gourd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_melon
names of vegetables with botanical names and common names in malayalam
http://www.keralaagriculture.gov.in/htmle/crops/f1.html
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 20, 2010, 10:43:21 AM10/20/10
to Yazdy Palia, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Thanks yazdi ji
Let us see the fruits of Balkar ji's plant and your plant mature to reach a conclusion.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 3, 2010, 1:30:43 PM11/3/10
to Yazdy Palia, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
I hope fruits of Balkar ji's plant and Yazdi ji's plant must have matured by now. A photograph of stalk attachment, cut section and seed should help.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Nov 3, 2010, 1:37:47 PM11/3/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji,
My fruit is about 5" in diameter, but it is not yet mature. it is
still green in colour. The seeds will not be mature, but the fruit
could be used for cooking. Mine is definitely not the ash gourd or
white pumpkin. Would be interesting to note the appearance of Balkar
Ji' s plant.
Regards
Yazdy.

Balkar Arya

Nov 3, 2010, 9:57:42 PM11/3/10
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Sir today i Will try to go to that site in search of fruits..

J.M. Garg

Nov 30, 2010, 7:35:13 AM11/30/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya, Yazdy Palia

Some earlier relevant feedback:

"I hope fruits of Balkar ji's plant and Yazdi ji's plant must have matured by now. A photograph of stalk attachment, cut section and seed should help.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Yazdy Palia

Nov 30, 2010, 10:53:04 AM11/30/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Arya
Dear Mr. Garg,
Have just attached the pictures.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.
DSCN4409.JPG
DSCN4410.JPG
DSCN4411.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 30, 2010, 11:33:42 AM11/30/10
to Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya
Yes Cucubita moschata