Flora of Uttarakhand- Herb3 for Id- JM

J.M. Garg

Nov 12, 2010, 11:03:06 PM11/12/10
to efloraofindia
Wild Herb captured in 2nd week of August’10 during the trek from Ghangaria to Hemkunt Sahib.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Herb3 I2 IMG_4906.jpg
Herb3 I IMG_4906.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 13, 2010, 12:05:05 AM11/13/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Saussurea piptathera ?
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

Nov 13, 2010, 9:34:54 AM11/13/10
to Pankaj Kumar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
I will not go with Saussurea piptathera because of the fact that this plant has a characteristic black outline around the leaf margin which is missing in Saussurea piptathera
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

J.M. Garg

Nov 14, 2010, 10:37:24 AM11/14/10
to tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish
Thanks, Pankaj ji & Tanay ji,
Attaching more photos which to me appear of the same plant.

Herb 3B I3 IMG_4126.jpg
Herb 3B I IMG_4126.jpg
Herb 3C I3 IMG_4127.jpg
Herb 3C I IMG_4127.jpg

Tabish

Nov 14, 2010, 12:08:15 PM11/14/10
to J.M. Garg, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
This should be Saussurea piptathera only, as Pankaj says. Saussurea
piptathera is characterized by oblong leaves which are sharply
toothed, hairless above, cottony below, with stem-clasping base.
Flower-heads 1/2 inch across, in a crowded dense corymb.
- Tabish

J.M. Garg

Nov 16, 2010, 10:59:20 PM11/16/10
to Tabish, tanay bose, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
A reply:
"Saussurea piptathera Edgew. Trans. Linn. Soc. London 20(1): 76, in obs. 1846
Regards
Pankaj"