Orchid for ID : 170511 : AK-3

Aarti S. Khale

May 17, 2011, 1:32:59 AM5/17/11
to efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar
Dear Pankaj ji,this one is for you to confirm.
Taken at the 'Flower Show' at Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai on the 19th of Feb, 2011.
Name given was Black Jewel Orchid, Ludisa discolor.
Aarti
DSCN1074.JPG
DSCN1075.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

May 17, 2011, 1:57:19 AM5/17/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Thanks mam, this is Ludisia discolor. One of the Jewel Orchids. Please
wait for the flower to confirm. Its a monotypic genera not found in
India in Wild but just outside India in a wide range. I imagine if we
search properly we can find it in North east. This plant does very
good in Indian gardens.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 17, 2011, 1:52:47 AM5/17/11
to efloraofindia
This should be Luidisia discolor.
Please wait for the flowers to confirm.
Thanks a lot for sharing this beautiful plant pic. There is one more
orchid out of focus in the back!!
Pankaj
>  DSCN1074.JPG
> 114KViewDownload
>
>  DSCN1075.JPG
> 136KViewDownload

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 17, 2011, 2:05:07 AM5/17/11
to efloraofindia
Sorry I thought the second mail which was actually sent earlier didnt
get posted so I mailed again. Correct spelling should be Ludisia..
Regards
Pankaj

tanay bose

May 17, 2011, 10:31:46 AM5/17/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
This orchid looks really lovely and very different
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.