efloraofindia:''For Id 13082011MR1’’ plant with big leaves at PUNE

Madhuri Raut

Aug 13, 2011, 10:27:31 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia
Kindly help me identify this plant with the following specifications

Date/Time- 13/08/2011 5.00 pm

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- PUNE Maharashtra

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- Garden

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  Shrub

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Big in size grow fast

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- not seen

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- not seen

Regards

Bhagyashri

130820111540.jpg
130820111539.jpg

Smilax004

Aug 13, 2011, 1:13:34 PM8/13/11
to Madhuri Raut, indiantreepix

Please check Alocacia sp. of Araceae family.

Regards,
Giby

>  130820111540.jpg
> 569KViewDownload
>
>  130820111539.jpg
> 507KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

Aug 14, 2011, 8:19:38 AM8/14/11
to efloraofindia

Hurray, Bhagya shri ji : you have the perfect presentation...
completely correct...

Yes a colocasia...
in bengali one of the varietie is called "ol kochu"... , the tubers
are eaten as a substitute for potatoe.. cooked the ame way
Just plant the tubers when ripe and you get these kind a leaves..
Usha di
----------------

n Aug 13, 7:27 pm, Madhuri Raut <itii...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  130820111540.jpg
> 569KViewDownload
>
>  130820111539.jpg
> 507KViewDownload

Madhuri Raut

Aug 14, 2011, 9:48:59 AM8/14/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Ushadiji for appreciating my correct presentation. I feel the same happiness as I would feel in school or college after passing an exam as so far there was always a problem in my presentation for request for identification. You will not believe it but before pressing the send button I checked thrice whether everything is correct.  And yes thanks for the valuable information about the plant.

Regards
Bhagyashri

Smilax004

Aug 14, 2011, 1:17:08 PM8/14/11
to Madhuri Raut, micromi...@gmail.com, indiantreepix
Please check Alocacia sp. not Colocasia of Araceae family.

Regards,
Giby

>  130820111540.jpg
> 569KViewDownload
>
>  130820111539.jpg
> 507KViewDownload

ushadi Micromini

Aug 14, 2011, 1:28:31 PM8/14/11
to Smilax004, indiantreepix
Giby :  to me and my old info in my head: Alocasia genus belongs to Colocasieae TRIBE, belongs to Araceae  family ...
is it still the same?
Usha di
=====

Smilax004

Aug 15, 2011, 2:37:41 AM8/15/11
to ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix, Bhagyashri Ranade

Yes, Alocasia genus belongs to the tribe Colocasieae of Araceae
family. I meant to say that this plant would most probably belong to
the Genus Colocasia and not belong to the genus Alocasia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alocasia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araceae

Regards,
Giby

On Aug 14, 10:28 pm, ushadi Micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Giby :  to me and my old info in my head: Alocasia genus belongs to Colocasieae
> TRIBE, belongs to Araceae  family ...
> is it still the same?
> Usha di
> =====

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 15, 2011, 3:53:50 AM8/15/11
to Smilax004, ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix, Bhagyashri Ranade
Giby ji
I am not sure about your identification. In first two mails you have written Alocasia, in last mail you write "I meant to say that this plant would most probably belong to the Genus Colocasia and not belong to the genus Alocasia".

Ushadi had identified it as Colocasia and I think she is correct. The rounded bases (and not hastate as in Alocasia) characterise Colocasia.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 15, 2011, 4:12:39 AM8/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix, Bhagyashri Ranade
Sorry for the mistake!

Please read the line as follows;

"I meant to say that this plant would most probably belong to the Genus Alocasia and not belong to the genus Colocasia"

Thank you Gurcharan Ji for correcting me by pointing out the mistake.
For the difference between Alocasia and Colocasia I would take 3-4 more days to refer my books as I am away from both my office and home where most of my reference texts are available.
I was using the leaf venation pattern for thinking this as Alocasia sp.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD