SV: Epiphytic orchid Pench National Park,

katarina stenman

Jan 26, 2011, 3:15:27 PM1/26/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

2011-01-03 Photo showing epiphytic orchid growing maybe 3-4 m high
up. My guess is Vanda or some similar monopodial genera. Does anyone
know what species that is found in the national park?

Regards

Katarina

P1130301-orkide-fix.jpg

Vijayasankar

Jan 26, 2011, 4:17:18 PM1/26/11
to katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
It looks like Vanda tessellata. But, its just a guess!

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Balkar Arya

Jan 27, 2011, 1:55:02 AM1/27/11
to Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Vanda tessellata

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Balkar Arya

Jan 27, 2011, 2:34:22 AM1/27/11
to Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here are mine from Tirupati
tn_IMG_1381.JPG
tn_IMG_1380.JPG

Vijayadas D

Jan 27, 2011, 3:07:26 AM1/27/11
to Balkar Arya, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
This is Vanda tessellata
--
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy

Balkar Arya

Jan 27, 2011, 3:26:36 AM1/27/11
to Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vijaydas ji for confirmation

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 27, 2011, 4:46:10 AM1/27/11
to Balkar Arya, Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Balkar sir,
Did you compare the tip apex in the top pic and yours. Where di you
get your picture from?
Upper ones seem to me like Vanda tessellata but Dr. Balkar sir's has a
very peculiar leaf apex.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Balkar Arya

Jan 27, 2011, 7:09:22 AM1/27/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Pankaj Ji
these were captured by myself in botanical garden of Shri Venteshwara University Tirupati and id was confirmed by one of the botanist there. You pls rectify/clarify the situation

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 29, 2011, 11:49:39 AM1/29/11
to Balkar Arya, Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
You please tell me the name of botanist and I will rethink :p....he
must have seen the plant in flowering. There are around 5 species of
Vanda in South and there are many other genera which looks like Vanda.
Its not the matter of clarification. Its my view. Without flower!!!
There are 35000 species of orchids in the world which makes it the
biggest family of flowering plants. I always keep my doubts open with
non flowering specimens. Vanda tessellata has peculiar leaf apex with
pointed protrusion on two lobes and the center, i.e., three points.
Your plant seem to have rounded lobes of the apex what I can see in
the pic with a point in the centre. If thats true then for sure this
is not even Vanda from my side.....!!
You may please share some more picture for me to recheck.
I would love to be proved wrong!!!!
Pankaj

Balkar Arya

Jan 29, 2011, 12:51:07 PM1/29/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Pankaj Ji
it is not a matter of right or not right. I have zero knowledge of orchids so cannot say anything. I will try to have some more close ups of the plant and also try to ask in SV Uni for confirmation.

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 30, 2011, 12:52:52 AM1/30/11
to Balkar Arya, Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
No sir you are taking it wrongly. They must have seen the flowers. I
havent!! Even there are two more look alikes of Vanda tessellata in
south. Flowers look very much similar, except for the lip apex.
Even if you have any pic showing the dried floral stalk with fruit
then it may be of help too.
Pankaj

Balkar Arya

Feb 4, 2011, 4:49:38 AM2/4/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Pankaj ji
Mine is Vanda spathulata. Today i confirmed this from SV University

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 4, 2011, 4:54:11 AM2/4/11
to Balkar Arya, Vijayadas D, Vijayasankar, katarina stenman, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thats a good news. Now I know how to identify Vanda spathulata. This
also shows the importance of flowers on the specimens for
identification.
I am glad Balkar sir finally digged it out on his own to get the
correct identity. Hats off to you!!
Pankaj

Balkar Arya

Feb 4, 2011, 5:03:00 AM2/4/11