Euphorbiaceae week - ?Euphorbia, ID help please 20110312sm

Samir Mehta

Mar 12, 2011, 8:28:59 AM3/12/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
photographed at the Veer Jijamata Udyan in early January 2011.

Garden shrub, 3-4 ft; was seen growing in a huge pot; no stem, leaves sprang from very close to the ground.
The ?flower / inflorescence was silver in color (as seen in images).
The leaf margin had small spines; leaves stiff, smooth surface and curved laterally.

Regards,

Samir Mehta
un id succulent @ zoo DSC04578.jpg
un id succulent @ zoo DSC04576.jpg
un id succulent @ zoo DSC04577.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 12, 2011, 9:20:17 AM3/12/11
to Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com
I suppose not Euphorbia. Perhaps some Agave sp.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Mahadeswara

Mar 12, 2011, 10:37:07 AM3/12/11
to efloraofindia
Not Euphorbia. Could be Agave sps.
>  un id succulent @ zoo DSC04578.jpg
> 212KViewDownload
>
>  un id succulent @ zoo DSC04576.jpg
> 204KViewDownload
>
>  un id succulent @ zoo DSC04577.jpg
> 214KViewDownload

Samir Mehta

Mar 12, 2011, 10:39:45 PM3/12/11
to efloraofindia
Many Thanks Gurcharan ji and Mahadesara ji for the lead.

Regards,

Samir

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 13, 2011, 3:28:34 AM3/13/11
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Bromeliaceae. Some of the so called Cat's Claw.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 13, 2011, 4:51:29 AM3/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Pankaj ji
I marvel your keen eye.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Mar 13, 2011, 8:09:27 AM3/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Samir Mehta, efloraofindia
Could this possible be Bromelia balansea, Mez. or Bromelia pinguin. I came across the description  of Bormelia balansae in Aima's book Pg 64  as follows: " A large  dense and vicious terrestrial rosette about 3 ft. tall, used for fencing; stiff green leaves with dangerous hook spines facing both directions; center turning red before bloom; flowers white, in paniculate inflorescence forming branches of small.ovoid, orange yellow fruit  with pineapple flavour. Can be easily confused with B. pinguin, but balansae has broad sepal tips, while pinguin has needle-like sepal  tips and loose inflorescence."

regards,
Rashida.

Samir Mehta

Mar 17, 2011, 9:04:59 AM3/17/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
A special thanks to you Pankaj ji.
Thank You Rashida ji for trying to nail the id.

Regards,

Samir

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2011, 5:52:13 AM6/26/11
to efloraofindia, Samir Mehta, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, nitesh...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, rautn...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, abhi_...@hotmail.com, M Swamy, Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Bromeliaceae. Some of the so called Cat's Claw.
Pankaj”

Could this possible be Bromelia balansea, Mez. or Bromelia pinguin. I came across the description  of Bormelia balansae in Aima's book Pg 64  as follows: " A large  dense and vicious terrestrial rosette about 3 ft. tall, used for fencing; stiff green leaves with dangerous hook spines facing both directions; center turning red before bloom; flowers white, in paniculate inflorescence forming branches of small.ovoid, orange yellow fruit  with pineapple flavour. Can be easily confused with B. pinguin, but balansae has broad sepal tips, while pinguin has needle-like sepal  tips and loose inflorescence." from Rashida ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

un id succulent @ zoo DSC04578.jpg
un id succulent @ zoo DSC04576.jpg
un id succulent @ zoo DSC04577.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Jun 27, 2011, 11:44:38 AM6/27/11
to Samir Mehta, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, H S
Dr Samir ji,
Posting my pictures taken at Jijamata Udyan....hope of the same plant.
Taken at the Plant Nursery, a potted plant.
One picture was posted earlier on the group....but I missed out the
name in case it was identified.
Aarti

On 6/26/11, Samir Mehta <samirm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 'Not at all surprising given the way you have covered Jijamata Udyan Aarti
> ji.
> Was it identified / some lead or hint?
> Will be nice if you could give the link (or the subject line to find the
> post) so we can all compare the images in your post.
>
> Regards,'
>

> Aarti ji, the above message did not go to indiatreepix website address was
> incorrect in your original post. (Even your message is not reflected in the
> group site)
>
> Regards,
>
> Samir
>

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Aarti S. Khale
> <aarti...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dr Samir ji,
>> I had posted similar one from Jijamata Udyan earlier.
>> Aarti

>> On Mar 17, 5:04 pm, Samir Mehta <samirmeht...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > A special thanks to you Pankaj ji.
>> > Thank You Rashida ji for trying to nail the id.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Samir

(240310-AK-1)-DSCN4620-Jijamata Udyan.jpg
DSCN0466.JPG

J.M. Garg

Dec 6, 2019, 3:43:52 AM12/6/19
to efloraofindia, Samir Mehta, Aarti S. Khale, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
I think close to images at Billbergia amoena (Lodd.) Lindl.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

un id succulent @ zoo DSC04578.jpg
un id succulent @ zoo DSC04576.jpg
un id succulent @ zoo DSC04577.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Dec 6, 2019, 3:57:37 AM12/6/19
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Samir Mehta, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Garg Ji,
Can we consider Billbergia macrocalyx?
Regards,
Aarti

J.M. Garg

Dec 20, 2019, 12:42:43 AM12/20/19
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia, Samir Mehta, Dr. Pankaj Kumar