ID request 250211 RV 1

renee vyas vyas

Feb 25, 2011, 4:01:16 AM2/25/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Friends,

Please Identify this huge tree I saw on the outskirts of Cochin,Kerala on our way  towards Thathekad Bird sanctuary in ernakulam district on 22nd Jan,2011.

Regards,

Renee
IMG_1448_1.JPG
IMG_1451_1.JPG
IMG_1452_1.JPG
IMG_1456_1.JPG

Mahadeswara

Feb 25, 2011, 6:04:34 AM2/25/11
to efloraofindia
Looks like one of the Ficus species.
>  IMG_1448_1.JPG
> 354KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1451_1.JPG
> 286KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1452_1.JPG
> 415KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_1456_1.JPG
> 481KViewDownload

Rashida Atthar

Feb 25, 2011, 7:18:47 AM2/25/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Perhaps an Artocarpus sp.?

regards,
Rashida.

tanay bose

Feb 25, 2011, 7:32:51 AM2/25/11
to Rashida Atthar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
I feel this is Neolamarckia cadamba (Roxb.) Bosser
Synonyms:
Nauclea cadamba Roxb.
Anthocephalus cadamba (Roxb.) Miq.
Samama cadamba (Roxb.) Kuntze
Anthocephalus morindifolius Korth.
Nauclea megaphylla S.Moore
Neonauclea megaphylla S.Moore

Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 25, 2011, 7:36:04 AM2/25/11
to Rashida Atthar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
... ¿ Neolamarckia cadamba ?
Regards.
Dinesh

Neil Soares

Feb 25, 2011, 7:39:56 AM2/25/11
to Rashida Atthar, Dinesh Valke, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Hi Renee,
    This is Artocarpus hirsutus - called Wild Jack [Wild Jackfruit tree]. Its fruit is very sweet.
                             Regards,
                               Neil.

Pudji Widodo

Feb 25, 2011, 11:05:57 AM2/25/11
to efloraofindia
I think Artocarpus elasticus Reinw. ex Blume

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

Muthu Karthick

Feb 26, 2011, 3:20:05 AM2/26/11
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Dear all,
The tree posted is Artocapus hirsutus Lam.of Moraceae. This is not Neolamarckia sp. for sure, as it lacks inter-petiolar stipules (a characteristic feature of Rubiaceae).
Common in Kanniyakumari district (Southern Western Ghats) of TN.

Tamil names: Anjili, Aiyini, Kattuppala

2011/2/25 Pudji Widodo <pudji...@gmail.com>

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Vijayadas D

Feb 26, 2011, 5:30:46 AM2/26/11
to Muthu Karthick, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
ya,

     In Malayalam - Ayani maram, Aini maram , Anjili maram  (maram means  tree)
 and the  fruit is very sweet and tasty and it may vary with the trees

--
Vijayadas D
Estates (Horticulture) Supervisor

Vijayadas D

Feb 27, 2011, 1:41:25 AM2/27/11
to efloraofindia

Feb 28, 2011, 1:05:32 AM2/28/11
to Vijayadas D, kottai muthu, efloraofindia
Yes KottaiMuthuji,
Like many members of Moraceae, this has leafy stipule like bud.

renee vyas vyas

Mar 1, 2011, 5:10:32 AM3/1/11
to Muthu Karthick, Vijayadas D, kottai muthu, efloraofindia
Thanks you all for the ID and other information about Artocarpus hirsutus.

Regards,

Renee