Smithia hirsuita

Neil Soares

Oct 28, 2010, 1:46:14 PM10/28/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 A few days ago there was a discussion on Smithia hirsuita. Sending a photograph taken on my farm at Shahapur of what Dr. Almeida thought could possibly be S. hirsuita.
                          Regards,
                           Neil Soares.

Smithia hirsuita.jpg

tanay bose

Oct 28, 2010, 9:36:13 PM10/28/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the post Neil ji
Your farm will be declared as a hotsopt within  short time
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Dinesh Valke

Oct 28, 2010, 11:25:10 PM10/28/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Neil ji ... it looks different from my views of Smithia hirsuta (http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=91314344%40N00&q=Smithia+hirsuta&m=text).

Not very confident, not yet familiar ... many species of Smithia in Western Ghats.

Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Oct 29, 2010, 12:03:46 AM10/29/10
to efloraofindia
Neilji I agree with Dineshji. Regards, Shrikant

On Oct 29, 6:36 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the post Neil ji
> Your farm will be declared as a hotsopt within  short time
> tanay
>
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> >   Hi,
> >  A few days ago there was a discussion on Smithia hirsuita. Sending a
> > photograph taken on my farm at Shahapur of what Dr. Almeida thought could
> > possibly be S. hirsuita.
> >                           Regards,
> >                            Neil Soares.
>
> --
> *Tanay Bose*

shrikant ingalhalikar

Oct 29, 2010, 12:12:25 AM10/29/10
to efloraofindia
Neilji, your plant seems to be S. oligantha. Please check following.
Calyx membraneous, venation on calyx, pods 5 cm, 10 seeded, seeds 4
mm, dish shaped. Other things do tally. Regards, Shrikant
>  Smithia hirsuita.jpg
> 111KViewDownload

rajdeo singh

Oct 29, 2010, 12:43:53 AM10/29/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
This not at all Smithea sp.
I think its Geissaspis tenella Bth.

*****
Rajdeo Singh
Project fellow
St. Xavier's College
Mumbai

shrikant ingalhalikar

Oct 29, 2010, 1:00:21 AM10/29/10
to efloraofindia
Yes, I agree with Rajdeosingh on G. tenella. Ciliate bracts are
scarcely visible. Regards, Shrikant

On Oct 28, 10:46 pm, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Smithia hirsuita.jpg
> 111KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 29, 2010, 1:04:34 AM10/29/10
to rajdeo singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rajdeo ji
Not familiar with the genus Smithia, the next best thing that I did was to shortlist species of the genus with four leaflets from FBI. Having shortlisted two, I could not fit any because long bristly ciliate bracts. I was about to write to Srikant ji when your mail came.

Yes Neil ji's plant agrees well with Geissaspis tenella

Thanks again for introducing a new genus to many of us. Thanks Neil ji for uploading it. It would be interesting to know whether the species is described in the Flora of Maharashtra. It is there in FBI from Western Peninsula.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Neil Soares

Oct 29, 2010, 3:37:30 AM10/29/10
to rajdeo singh, Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rajdeo Singh, Mr.ingalhalikar, Prof. Singh & Dinesh for the id.

 In all fairness, have to state that Dr.Almeida & his student Santosh Yadav made the diagnosis whilst visiting my farm from this photograph [and not from actually seeing the specimen - which was a little distance away].

Prof. Singh, didn't quite get your question, but both Geissaspis tenella and Smithia hirsuita are included in the 'Flora of Maharashtra'.

                                  Regards,
                                   Neil Soares.