The Pitcher Plant: Nepenthes mirabilis (Lour.) Druce

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 14, 2011, 2:21:16 PM2/14/11
to indiantreepix
Nepenthes mirabilis (Lour.) Druce Rep. Bot. Exch. Cl. Brit. Isles
1916, 637 (1917).

Basionym: Phyllamphora mirabilis Lour. Fl. Cochinch. 2: 606. (1790)

Family: Nepenthaceae
Location: TBGRI, Palode, Trivandrum.
Camera: Nikon D300+60mm Nikkor +Vivitar ringlflash.

Other information [source: Wikipedia]

Nepenthes mirabilis (pronounced /nɨˈpɛnθiːz mɪˈræbɨlɪs/, from Latin:
mirabilis = wonderful), or the Common Swamp Pitcher-Plant, is a
tropical carnivorous plant species of the pitfall trap variety. It has
by far the widest distribution of any Nepenthes species and is known
from the following countries and regions: Borneo, Sumatra, Thailand,
Peninsular Malaysia, Sulawesi, Maluku Islands, Myanmar, Cambodia, New
Guinea, Australia, Philippines, Indochina, China, Hong Kong,
Micronesia, Macau, and Palau. It also exhibits great variabiliy with
the most forms and varieties of any species in the genus, the most
notable of which is N. mirabilis var. echinostoma, a rare variety
endemic to Brunei and Sarawak that possesses an extremely wide
peristome.

The conservation status of N. mirabilis is listed as Least Concern on
the 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. In Hong Kong, it is a
protected species under Forestry Regulations Cap. 96A.

According to Matthew Jebb and Martin Cheek, the pitchers of N.
mirabilis are used as toy phallocrypts in New Guinea.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Slide7.JPG
Slide8.JPG
Slide9.JPG
PROTOLOGUE NEPENTHES MIRABILIS 606.jpg
PROTOLOGUE NEPENTHES MIRABILIS 607.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 14, 2011, 11:24:24 PM2/14/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks Pankaj ji for showing this nice plant

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 12:37:41 AM2/15/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot for appreciating....
Pankaj

Mahadeswara

Feb 15, 2011, 1:50:07 AM2/15/11
to efloraofindia, sahanipan...@gmail.com
Dear Sri Pankaj ji,
Thanks for the beautiful photographs and the complete information on
the species.
>  Slide7.JPG
> 563KViewDownload
>
>  Slide8.JPG
> 549KViewDownload
>
>  Slide9.JPG
> 968KViewDownload
>
>  PROTOLOGUE NEPENTHES MIRABILIS 606.jpg
> 950KViewDownload
>
>  PROTOLOGUE NEPENTHES MIRABILIS 607.jpg
> 1003KViewDownload

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 2:12:45 AM2/15/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia, sahanipan...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot sir.
There is no need to add SHRI with my name :). I would be fine without it.
Regards
Pankaj

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Nov 22, 2011, 11:05:41 PM11/22/11
to indiantreepix
Nepenthes mirabilis

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Mahadeswara <swamy.c...@gmail.com>

wrote:
> Dear Sri Pankaj ji,
> Thanks for the beautiful photographs and the complete information on
> the  species.

> On Feb 15, 12:21 am, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Nepenthesmirabilis (Lour.) Druce Rep. Bot. Exch. Cl. Brit. Isles
>> 1916, 637 (1917).

>> Basionym: Phyllamphora mirabilis Lour. Fl. Cochinch. 2: 606. (1790)

>> Family: Nepenthaceae
>> Location: TBGRI, Palode, Trivandrum.
>> Camera: Nikon D300+60mm Nikkor +Vivitar ringlflash.

>> Other information [source: Wikipedia]

>>Nepenthesmirabilis (pronounced /nɨˈpɛnθiːz mɪˈræbɨlɪs/, from Latin:

>> mirabilis = wonderful), or the Common Swamp Pitcher-Plant, is a
>> tropical carnivorous plant species of the pitfall trap variety. It has

>> by far the widest distribution of anyNepenthesspecies and is known

>> Regards
>> Pankaj

>>  Slide7.JPG
>> 563KViewDownload

>>  Slide8.JPG
>> 549KViewDownload

>>  Slide9.JPG
>> 968KViewDownload

>>  PROTOLOGUENEPENTHESMIRABILIS 606.jpg
>> 950KViewDownload

>>  PROTOLOGUENEPENTHESMIRABILIS 607.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Nov 22, 2011, 11:06:20 PM11/22/11
to indiantreepix
Nepenthes mirabilis

wrote:
> Dear Sri Pankaj ji,
> Thanks for the beautiful photographs and the complete information on
> the  species.

> On Feb 15, 12:21 am, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Nepenthesmirabilis (Lour.) Druce Rep. Bot. Exch. Cl. Brit. Isles
>> 1916, 637 (1917).

>> Basionym: Phyllamphora mirabilis Lour. Fl. Cochinch. 2: 606. (1790)

>> Family: Nepenthaceae
>> Location: TBGRI, Palode, Trivandrum.
>> Camera: Nikon D300+60mm Nikkor +Vivitar ringlflash.

>> Other information [source: Wikipedia]

>>Nepenthesmirabilis (pronounced /nɨˈpɛnθiːz mɪˈræbɨlɪs/, from Latin:

>> mirabilis = wonderful), or the Common Swamp Pitcher-Plant, is a
>> tropical carnivorous plant species of the pitfall trap variety. It has

>> by far the widest distribution of anyNepenthesspecies and is known

>> Regards
>> Pankaj

>>  Slide7.JPG
>> 563KViewDownload