Flowers offered to Shiv ji

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 31, 2011, 3:44:08 AM1/31/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Group Members,

During recent visit to Chhattisgarh forest I took this picture.
Hibiscus and Datura flowers with Marigold were offered to Shiv ji.

I was told that Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is Devi Phool offered to The
Goddess only not to Shiv ji. But there is difference in opinion. Anand
ji can throw more light on it.

In year 2007 I observed it during survey. Please see second picture
titled "Bhorum one"

Please give your comments.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

DSC09918 (Medium).JPG
bhorum one 152 (Medium).jpg

formp...@yahoo.com

Jan 31, 2011, 4:09:34 AM1/31/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Actually in Maharashtra this is offered to Lord Ganapati.
Shiva for calmness is offered with white flower.
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

mani nair

Jan 31, 2011, 4:15:51 AM1/31/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
In Mumbai, we offer the red hibiscus flowers to Lord Ganesha.  We offer Shiva, the Datura fruits and the leaves and fruits of  Bael tree(Aegle marmelos)

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jan 31, 2011, 8:51:04 AM1/31/11
to mani nair, formp...@yahoo.com, Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice and beautiful
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 31, 2011, 10:41:03 AM1/31/11
to tanay bose, mani nair, formp...@yahoo.com, Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps some one some day writes an article on "Plants and Religion"

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 31, 2011, 1:47:34 PM1/31/11
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, formp...@yahoo.com, Pankaj Oudhia, indian...@googlegroups.com
There is already an article on Angiospermic plants in Hindu mythology.
Will try to search and share in the eflora soon.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 31, 2011, 2:24:44 PM1/31/11
to efloraofindia
In general toxic flowers and other plant parts are offered to Shiv ji but now trend is changing. In my state toxic Gloriosa flowers are offered to Ganesh ji. Similarly many exotic species have taken place in Pooja. For example you can see Bougainvillea flowers on Shiv ji in second picture.

Many years back during visit to Jabalpur region I found Parthenium flowers in Ram temple. They were calling Parthenium as Ram Phool only because Parthenium is omnipresent like Bhagvan Ram. When I informed them about its allergy causing pollens and trichomes they corrected the error.

As Gurcharan ji is saying there is need to report this changing pattern once again.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 31, 2011, 2:35:58 PM1/31/11
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
these are not changing trends. People just tend to link and they just
put any flower.
You know this holy festival of Chatt celebrated by people in Bihar and
Uttar Pradesh. It is supposed to be the most sacred festival of Hindus
where people offer prayers to sun god firstly during the sunset and
then nextday on sunrise in lakes or rivers while taking holy dip.
Now people who are too lazy to go to pond, or may be find the pond too
dirty, or may be cant even find a pond, they dig a ditch, fill with
some water, which might not even be enough to reach your waist and
offer prayers.
Trust me, the most surprising thing I have even know is people doing
prayers standing in water tanks!!!
All these are just for the sake of convenience. But my mom still goes
to the lake in our town!!
Pankaj

pallavi doke

Feb 1, 2011, 4:45:14 AM2/1/11
to efloraofindia
This reminds me of the 'Phul gulli' or flower market near Dadar
Railway station in Mumbai. My work regularly takes me to this area and
I brave the crowds and slush just to see the variety of flowers!

Last year I noticed a large quantity of Nerium flowers, especially the
petals, used to make garlands. This was a surprise since i do not
recollect Nerium as a puja flower.

Another change was, Tabernaemontana half opened flowers ( a hybrid
variety) sold as 'mogra buds'. In the market rush and all 'fragrances'
the diff is not easily noticed. However the buyer soon realises the
mistake.

Regards

Pallavi

On Feb 1, 12:24 am, Pankaj Oudhia <pankajoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In general toxic flowers and other plant parts are offered to Shiv ji but
> now trend is changing. In my state toxic Gloriosa flowers are offered to
> Ganesh ji. Similarly many exotic species have taken place in Pooja. For
> example you can see Bougainvillea flowers on Shiv ji in second picture.
>
> Many years back during visit to Jabalpur region I found Parthenium flowers
> in Ram temple. They were calling Parthenium as Ram Phool only because
> Parthenium is omnipresent like Bhagvan Ram. When I informed them about its
> allergy causing pollens and trichomes they corrected the error.
>
> As Gurcharan ji is saying there is need to report this changing pattern once
> again.
>
> regards
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > There is already an article on Angiospermic plants in Hindu mythology.
> > Will try to search and share in the eflora soon.
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Perhaps some one some day writes an article on "Plants and Religion"
>
> > > --
> > > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > > Retired  Associate Professor
> > > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> > >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/<http://people.du.ac.in/%7Esinghg45/>

> > Dehradun - 248001, India- Hide quoted text -

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 1, 2011, 4:48:55 AM2/1/11
to pallavi doke, efloraofindia
they say, what you offer with full respect and belief is always
accepted by god!!! so dont worry about the species of flower!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 1, 2011, 5:08:06 AM2/1/11
to efloraofindia
Well said.

But still the phenomenon of "Plants and Religion" exists and will exist.

To continue the discussion I am forwarding another picture where people offered Ark (Calotropis) leaves to Hanuman ji. In general Ark is associated with Shiv ji according to Hindu Mythology.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=98953

regards

Pankaj Oudhia