moha and south moha

Mohina Macker

Apr 23, 2011, 7:52:14 AM4/23/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
madhuca longifolia v latifolia or moha with wider, thicker leaves which are pink when new.
and
madhuca longifolia v longifolia or south moha with narrower leaves which are redder when new.
regards
mohina macker
south moha 2.jpg
moha.jpg
moha 2.jpg
south moha.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Apr 26, 2011, 1:45:32 PM4/26/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks for sharing. Since long I wanted to see these. What about
Madhuca indica?
Pankaj
>  south moha 2.jpg
> 160KViewDownload
>
>  moha.jpg
> 128KViewDownload
>
>  moha 2.jpg
> 158KViewDownload
>
>  south moha.jpg
> 138KViewDownload

Neil Soares

Apr 26, 2011, 1:59:18 PM4/26/11
to efloraofindia, Dr Pankaj Kumar
Hi Dr. Pankaj,
 Maduca indica is now called Maduca longifolia var. latifolia.
                   Regards,
                    Neil Soares.

Pankaj Kumar

Apr 26, 2011, 2:03:09 PM4/26/11
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot sir, now I know.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

H S

Apr 30, 2011, 6:47:17 AM4/30/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Madhuca indica is accepted name and M. longifolia var. latifolia is synonym..
The foto above mentioned is of Madhuca indica and M. longifolia (Long leaf)

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 30, 2011, 6:54:49 AM4/30/11
to H S, itp...@googlegroups.com, Pankaj Kumar, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dear H S
Pl. indicate the reference to support your conclusion
My information from all recent floras and two major databases GRIN & Kew Plant List support Neil ji's conclusion

Madhuca indica J.F.Gmel. is a synonym of Madhuca longifolia var. latifolia (Roxb.)

 A.Chev.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

H S

Apr 30, 2011, 7:44:34 AM4/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, itp...@googlegroups.com, Pankaj Kumar, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Sir ji
Madhuca indica Gmelin in 1791
Bassia latifolia Roxb. 1795
even if someone will change the rank.. it should go under var. indica not latifolia

regards...

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 30, 2011, 8:25:06 AM4/30/11
to H S, itp...@googlegroups.com, Pankaj Kumar, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Dear H. S.
A simple rule of ICBN
Principle of Priority is not applicable at different ranks.

The said plant is considered as variety of M. longifolia and as such earliest trinomial at varietal level is M. longifolia var. latifolia (Roxb.) A. Chev., 1943. At least no varietal combination under M. longifolia was available up to 1943, based on M. indica Gmelin

I hope I have been able to present true picture.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Apr 30, 2011, 9:31:21 AM4/30/11
to Gurcharan Singh, H S, itp...@googlegroups.com, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Madhuca longifolia (J.Koenig) Macbr. var latifolia (Roxb.) Chevalier (1943)

Basionym: Bassia latifolia Roxb. (1795)

Other synonyms:
Madhuca latifolia (Roxb.) Macbr. (1918)
Madhuca indica J.F.Gmelin (1791)

Dr. Gurcharan is right when he says, "Principle of Priority is not
applicable at different ranks". This goes in accordance with the
Chapter II, Section 3, Article 11.2 of Vienna Code, which states, "In
no case does a name have priority outside the rank in which it is
published". Even they provide two examples:

-------------------
Ex. 2. Magnolia virginiana var. foetida L. (1753) when raised to
specific rank is called M. grandiflora L. (1759), not M. foetida (L.)
Sarg. (1889).
Ex. 3. Lythrum intermedium Ledeb. (1822) when treated as a variety of
L. salicaria L. (1753) is called L. salicaria var. glabrum Ledeb. (Fl.
Ross. 2: 127. 1843), not L. salicaria var. intermedium (Ledeb.) Koehne
(in Bot. Jahrb. Syst. 1: 327. 1881).
-------------------------

There are some confusions on Kew's checklist as they show both M.
longifolia var. longifolia and M. longifolia but they are accompanied
with different synonyms. May be I should write to R. Govaerts about
it.

Thank you Gurcharan sir for digging into this simple yes complicated
nomenclature. I think we can start our homework on this issue to
gather more information to share with members.

Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

May 1, 2011, 12:27:47 AM5/1/11
to Pankaj Kumar, H S, itp...@googlegroups.com, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Yes Dr. Pankaj,  I had already written to the KEW List on a few matters where things are so clear yet they have written basionym as synonym of one and the combination based on this basionym as unresolved or synonym of some other name. I hope things will get sorted soon.