Herb for id 231210MK1

Muthu Karthick

Dec 23, 2010, 5:40:25 AM12/23/10
to indiantreepix

Dear all,
Please help to id this herb under a rotting wood found at Bryants park, Kodaikanal.

Date/Time-

06-11-2010 / 1:00 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.2100asl; Kodaikanal, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

as a weed;

Plant Habit-

herb

Height/Length-

ca. 15cm

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

2.5 x 1.5 cm

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

terminal;

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

pinkish

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

Kodai 238.jpg
Kodai 239.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 23, 2010, 12:02:10 PM12/23/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Persicaria nepalensis, I suppose

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 23, 2010, 12:05:16 PM12/23/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
I thought that, but in Kodaikanal I got skeptic?
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Ritesh Choudhary

Dec 23, 2010, 9:26:45 PM12/23/10
to efloraofindia
Yes! Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.) H. Gross from me too.

Regards,
Ritesh.

Mayur Nandikar

Dec 24, 2010, 12:17:13 AM12/24/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Yes this is very close to Persicaria nepalensis (Meisn.)
--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

Muthu Karthick

Dec 24, 2010, 1:31:32 AM12/24/10
to Mayur Nandikar, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thank you all for th id.
Yes Pankajji, this herb has been reported from Nilgiris, Kodaikanal and also in Yercaud. I think this is a native of Himalayas.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 24, 2010, 1:46:25 PM12/24/10
to Muthu Karthick, Mayur Nandikar, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Muthu for the information.
Dr. Ritesh is Polygonaceae expert here, so if he says yes then it has
to be yes......
Regards
Pankaj