Acanthaceae for id 010110MK03

Muthu Karthick

Jan 1, 2010, 3:44:47 AM1/1/10
to indiantreepix
Please id this Acanthaceae member. Locally abundant in Scrub forest floor.
Place: Satyamangalam forests.
Date: 06 Dec 2009

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Parjanya guru

Jan 1, 2010, 3:48:46 AM1/1/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Barleria pionitis..?
Check for the spines..

Muthu Karthick

Jan 1, 2010, 11:03:12 PM1/1/10
to Parjanya guru, indiantreepix
But the leaves are different here.

Muthu Karthick

Jan 24, 2010, 10:34:39 AM1/24/10
to indiantreepix
a 364.jpg
a 362.jpg
a 363.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 25, 2010, 11:43:20 AM2/25/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Parjanya guru, Vijayasankar Raman, Prashant awale
Resurfacing again for ID

Earlier feedback:

Parjanya ji...................................arleria pionitis..? Check for the spines...

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mar 15, 2010, 2:36:06 AM3/15/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, Parjanya guru, satish pardeshi, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Vijayasankar Raman

Earlier relevant feedback:

Barleria pionitis..?
Check for the spines..” from Parjanya ji.

But the leaves are different here.” from Muthu ji.

Mar 15, 2010, 2:41:29 AM3/15/10
to indiantreepix
check it with Barleria cuspidata. it also bears similar flowers.
Regards
Satish Pardeshi
--
Satish Pardeshi
Plant Taxonomist

satish pardeshi

Mar 15, 2010, 9:23:52 AM3/15/10
to indiantreepix
Please refer to Cooke"s Flora
 Barleria prionitis L. : leaves elliptic, acuminate bristle-tipped; bracteoles linear-subulate; flowers spicate above

Barleria cuspidata Heyne ex Nees: leaves subsessile, oblong-lanceolate, acute, bristle-tipped; bracteoles zero or a few minute bristles; flowers solitary in opposite axils.

Hence it can be comfortably said to be Barleria cuspidata Heyne ex Nees

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:48 PM, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,
I want to go with Barleria prionitis because Leaves mostly up to 8 x 3 cm, rarely up to 17 x 6 cm, glabrous, younger ones occasionally stellate tomentose. Flowers 2.5-4 cm long; bracteoles 10-15 mm long. Sepals lanceolate, as long as bracteole. Corolla pubescent externally. Anthers 2-3 (-3.5) mm long.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

tanay bose

Mar 15, 2010, 9:30:56 AM3/15/10
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Dear Satish ji,
I am extremely sorry the wrong name please excuse me and pardon me for my negligence .yes the plant is Barleria cuspidata Heyne ex Nees.
Sorry for the Negligence again!!!!!
Regards
Tanay

Muthu Karthick

Mar 16, 2010, 1:26:22 AM3/16/10
to tanay bose, satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Thank you all for the id.
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

Muthu Karthick

Jul 20, 2010, 2:31:06 AM7/20/10
to tanay bose, satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Dear all,
One more picture of the same plant bearing solitary flowers on opposite axils.
F 029.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 20, 2010, 7:58:53 AM7/20/10
to Muthu Karthick, satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
Barleria cuspidata !!
Tanay