ROSACEAE WEEK

Satish Phadke

Oct 7, 2011, 12:32:32 AM10/7/11
to indiantreepix

FAMILY OF THE WEEK: ROSACEAE

There are over 25 genera and around 215 species in India mainly confined to temperate Himalayas ascending up to 6000 meters.

Vegetative characters:

The plants are herbs, shrubs or trees several species of Rose and Rubus have prickles. Sometimes, as in Prinsepia and Crataegus the shrubs are armed with sharp spines which are modified branches. Vegetative reproduction takes place in several ways.

The leaves are alternate and simple, pinnately or palmately compound. The stipules are usually present.

Inflorescence and flowers:

The flowers are rarely solitary or fascicled, but commonly they are arranged in various types of definite or indefinite inflorescences. The flowers are actinomorphic or sometimes strongly zygomorphic, bisexual or unisexual,polygamous, pentamerous, hypogynous, peri or epigynous. The calyx is of typically five basally connate sepals; the calyx tube is free or adnate to the ovary. The aestivation is imbricate or valvate. In some genera an epicalyx is also present. The corolla is of generally five free petals (there are numerous petals in cultivated species of Rosa) which are usually imbricate in bud. The number of stamens is variable from one to many. They are often in whorls. The filaments are distinct or sometimes monoadelphous. The anthers are dithecous and introrse. A cushion shaped or ringlike nectar secreting disc is present between the stamens and carpel. The gynoecium shows much variation. There are ten different tribes of gynoecial characters and type of fruits.

Seeds:

The seeds are usually without endosperm.

Pollination and dispersal:

In most Rosaceae the nectar is collected in the receptacular tube and easily licked by insects. The flowers are mostly protogynous and favour cross pollination.

The seeds are dispersed by animals and birds.

Examples:

Rosa multiflora (Rose)

Rosa damascene

Rosa indica

Rosa banksiae

Rosa centifolia

Pyrus mallus (Apple)

Pyrus communis (Pear)

Prunus persica (Peach)

Prunus domestica

Prunus institia (Plum)

Prunus armeniaca (Apricot)

Prunus amygdalous (Almond)

Fragaria chiloensis (Garden Strawberry)

Fragaria vesca L. (Alpine strawberry)

Spiraea

potentilla

Brambles

Cinquefoil

http://satishphadke.blogspot.com/2008/12/family-of-week-rosaceae.html
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Satish Phadke

Oct 7, 2011, 12:41:20 AM10/7/11
to indiantreepix

ROSACEAE

Family  Rosaceae  has comparatively less representation in Maharashtra.

BSI  Flora  of Maharashtra mentions only 5 species  which are native to Maharashtra while there are many cultivated species which are seen growing though.

The key for Maharashtra is as follows.

Annualherbs :

Potentilla(Only one species found: Potentila supine)

Trees  or  shrubs :

2. Plants: unarmed trees;  carpel  1    Prunus  (Only 1 species found : Prunus ceylanica)

2.Plants: prickly shrubs; carpels many     Rubus.

Rubus

1.       Leaves simple                                                 R. molluccanus(Black berry)

1.       Leaves 3-9 foliolate  :

2. Leaves  3-foliolate :                                   R.ellipticus

2. Leaves 5-9 foliolate                                   R.niveus (‘Gauriphal’,’Mahabaleshwar Raspberry’)

Flowers of Himalaya (Polunin,Stainton)mentions many Rosaceae plants and the key regarding the identification is as follows:

Trees and shrubs above 1 m

a) leaves compound, with 3 or more leaflets

   i)Carpels free 1.Rubus  2. Sorbaria 3. Potentila

   ii)Carpels enclosed in a fleshy receptacle   1.Rosa 2. Sorbus

b( Leaves entire toothed or lobed

   i)Carpel 1      1.Prunus 2. Prinsepia  3. Neillia

   ii)Carpels several free   1.Rubus 2. Neillia 3.Spirea

  iii)Carpels encirciled in a fleshy receptacle in fruit  1.Crotoneaster 2. Crateagus 3. Pyracanthia       4.Photinia 5.Stranvaesia 6. Malus 7. Pyrus 8. Sorbus

Herbaceous perennials or small undershrubs

a) Epicalyx present   1.Alchemilila. 2. Fragaria 3. Geum 4.Potentilla 5. Sibbaldia

b)Epicalyx absent    1.Rubus 2. Agrimonia 3.Aruncus 4.Filipendula 5.Spiraea 6 Cotoneaster

--
Dr Satish Phadke

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 7, 2011, 12:46:24 AM10/7/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Very good write up.
May be there are less representation in all over the Western Ghats, when compare to other parts of India.

Regards
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Madhuri Raut

Oct 7, 2011, 12:49:23 AM10/7/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thank you Dr Phadke for this informative post. Infact I was waiting to read something like this about this family of the week. I wanted to know the salient features about the family discussed.
I have posted a thread showing a ?Wild cherry tree.

"Rosaceae Week: 03102011MR1 ?wild cherry tree from Pune for ID"

It has not been confirmed though. Does it belong to this family
Regards
Bhagyashri

Prashant awale

Oct 7, 2011, 1:00:55 AM10/7/11
to Madhuri Raut, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Nice & informative write up Satish ji.
Regards
Prashant

formp...@yahoo.com

Oct 7, 2011, 1:05:46 AM10/7/11
to Satish Phadke, Efloraindia
I expected this at the start of week. Helps in understanding.
Thanks for details.
One doubt. Apple genus Malus or Pyrus or both or one new, one old?
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Satish Phadke <drsmp...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:02:32 +0530
To: indiantreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [efloraofindia:86371] ROSACEAE WEEK

Satish Phadke

Oct 7, 2011, 1:13:08 AM10/7/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, Efloraindia
Yes Madhuri ji
Thanks for reading it thoroughly.
Pyrus malus is not an accepted name but is a synonym of Malus pumila.
The correct genus of Apple is Malus
--
Dr Satish Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 7, 2011, 1:31:52 AM10/7/11
to Satish Phadke, formp...@yahoo.com, Efloraindia
Satish ji
This is what I have been teaching my students for 35 years, since this provides examples of tautonym (Malus malus), how basionym becomes unapplicable and so on. Unfortunately (but correctly now) the name Malus pumila is now restricted to Paradise apple, a wild species, smaller tree with bright pink petals and fruit not larger than 1.5 cm. Our Table apple or orchard apple is now known as Malus domestica.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 7, 2011, 1:36:14 AM10/7/11
to efloraofindia
Nice discussion going on here. I missed it somehow.
One more example of tautonym was Linaris linaris which was later
changed to Linaris linifolia. Such names are valid in zoology though.
Regards
Pankaj

Balkar Singh

Oct 7, 2011, 4:03:23 AM10/7/11