Iris for Common & Botanical ID

ranjini kamath

Jul 17, 2011, 2:06:05 AM7/17/11
to indiatreepix
I do not know if this has another common name.Would appreciate Bot ID
too.Pics taken March - April 2011 in Los Altos,California.
Thank you.
Ranjini Kamath
IMG_8716-ph.jpg
IMG_8725-ph.jpg
IMG_9198-ph.jpg

Satish Phadke

Jul 17, 2011, 3:40:15 AM7/17/11
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Dietes iridioides
African Iris, Morea Iris, Fortnight Lily.
Yes it is very commonly observed in Bay area. I too saw many plants flowering profusely in residential as well office gardens in Jun 2011. It seems that the flowering season is also quite long as you have spotted this in April. ? may even be perennial.
Another Iris is also observed in in California. I am sure you must have captured that also.
Will post it separately.
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 17, 2011, 6:26:50 AM7/17/11
to Satish Phadke, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Yes Satish ji
Very common in California. When I first saw I thought it to be some species of Iris, till I identified it correctly as Dietes iridioides.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ushadi micromini

Jul 18, 2011, 7:38:53 AM7/18/11
to efloraofindia

not an iris, used to be classified as lily... now though I do not
know
grows profusely and as volunteer even in sandy coral based soil of
florida....
had many growing on their own without my planting them
Usha di
==
On Jul 17, 3:26 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes Satish ji
> Very common in California. When I first saw I thought it to be some species
> of Iris, till I identified it correctly as Dietes iridioides.
>

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *Dietes iridioides*
> > African Iris, Morea Iris, Fortnight Lily.
> > Yes it is very commonly observed in Bay area. I too saw many plants
> > flowering profusely in residential as well office gardens in Jun 2011. It
> > seems that the flowering season is also quite long as you have spotted this
> > in April. ? may even be perennial.
> > Another Iris is also observed in in California. I am sure you must have
> > captured that also.
> > Will post it separately.
> > Dr Phadke

ranjini kamath

Jul 18, 2011, 8:05:11 AM7/18/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Ok .Interesting:)Will wait for further inputs.
Ranjini Kamath

Satish Phadke

Jul 18, 2011, 9:39:25 AM7/18/11
to Gurcharan Singh, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Dear Gurcharan ji
I didn't understand your comments :When I first saw I thought it to be some species of Iris, till I identified it correctly as Dietes iridioides.
Do you mean to say that the genus is different than Iris?
I always thought that the members of Iridaceae family are called as Iris as common plant name. The above plant does belong to Family :Iridaceae as per Wikipedia and GRIN.
Would like to learn something from you.
Satish

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 18, 2011, 10:09:16 AM7/18/11
to Satish Phadke, ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
Satish ji
Iris and Dietes are two different genera.  In Iris the perianth are joined into a tube whereas they are free in Dietes and genus Morrea, in which, however rhizome is absent. All three belong to Iridaceae.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

JM Garg

Jul 2, 2017, 11:59:46 AM7/2/17
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, ranjini kamath, ushadi Micromini, Satish Phadke, GurcharanSingh
IMG_8716-ph.jpg
IMG_8725-ph.jpg
IMG_9198-ph.jpg