Plant for ID 30Jun 2011 SMP1

Satish Phadke

Jun 30, 2011, 12:49:07 PM6/30/11
to indiantreepix
A garden plant from Mountainview California for ID.
A shrub.Height 3-4 feet
Compound leaves. Trifoliate at apex.
A large compound inflorescence 15-30 cm. Flower size 1 cm or small.
Fruits red.
Dr Phadke
_MG_1853s.jpg
_MG_1854s.jpg
_MG_1855 c.JPG
_MG_1856s.JPG
_MG_1857s.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 30, 2011, 1:11:06 PM6/30/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Nandina domestica, the sacred bamboo or heavenly bamboo

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Jun 30, 2011, 9:01:29 PM6/30/11
to indiantreepix
Great Gurcharan ji
I had no clue about searching for this plant. Thanks a lot. I appreciate your vast expanse of knowledge.
by the way. I read some interesting things about the plant on Wikipedia page.
Nandina domestica
...Family Berberidaceae :: It is a monotypic genus , with this species as its only member.
...Native to eastern Asia from East Himalaya to Japan.
...It is poisonous.
...despite the common name it is not Bamboo.
...it has multiple unbranched stems arising from roots.
...the leaves bi-tri pinnately compound.

Ushadi micromini

Jun 30, 2011, 11:34:52 PM6/30/11
to efloraofindia
Satish ji: Its a very common houseplant, any nursery will have it with
a name tag...
growing conditions and watering info etc... even a discount house
like Walmart carries it..

Grows profusely in the lower warmer states as hedge, boundary marker
etc and provides color
both with green and then red-brown leaves and reddish - or even orange
berries...
in California and Florida, the berries are profuse, little birds like
tits and house sparrows hide in them and eat the berries..

ANOTHER very nice use of Nandina is: it lends itself to BONSAI
culture....

I am enjoying your California plants pics ... will you get a chance to
photograph street trees?
and if in SF itself there is a flock of "wild" parrots overlooking
the Presidio, exact location , locals can perhaps tell yo...

The streets of SF and neighboring towns are a treasure trove of
Botanical wonders..

Usha di
======

On Jun 30, 10:11 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nandina domestica, the sacred bamboo or heavenly bamboo
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 30, 2011, 11:35:05 PM6/30/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Yes Satish ji
I had uploaded this last year from Srinagar, Kashmir
It is very commonly grown in California