Plant for ID 20/06/11SMP1

Satish Phadke

Jun 20, 2011, 11:03:46 PM6/20/11
to indiantreepix
For ID.
A common garden plant observed in California. Place mountainview.
Leaves clustered near roots or base of the plant.
Inflorescence Umbel 10-15 cm
Dr Phadke
_MG_1894s.jpg
_MG_1896s.jpg
_MG_1897s.jpg
_MG_1903s.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Jun 20, 2011, 11:52:33 PM6/20/11
to efloraofindia
Dr. Phadke... this is *Heliotrope*. sp
many varieties and cultivars are available in garden shops...

read the label...
Usha di
=
>  _MG_1894s.jpg
> 162KViewDownload
>
>  _MG_1896s.jpg
> 70KViewDownload
>
>  _MG_1897s.jpg
> 118KViewDownload
>
>  _MG_1903s.jpg
> 177KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 21, 2011, 11:34:31 PM6/21/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
I thought Limonium perezii, Sea lavander

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Satish Phadke

Jun 22, 2011, 2:57:55 AM6/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
I agree with Gurcharan ji
It is indeed Limonium perezii,
A plant from Plumbaginaceae family. The description given on Wikipedia matches exactly with the plant depicted by me.
Esp. the rosate of basal somewhat radical large leaves. The violet sepals and white petals.....
The Flowers do look similar to Heliotropium though......
Dr Phadke

ushadi Micromini

Jun 22, 2011, 5:40:16 AM6/22/11
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes, I looked at my own pictures of sea lavender... Sir ji is right....
Usha di
===

Farida Abraham

Jun 26, 2011, 10:04:05 PM6/26/11
to ushadi Micromini, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
just back and saw this. If the flower is papery n texture it is commonly called statice. The cut flowers can be dries by hanging in binches upside down and then they last for months withour water FA
--
Mrs. F. Abraham.
Principal,

ushadi Micromini

Jun 27, 2011, 5:25:16 AM6/27/11
to Farida Abraham, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Yes, statice is an important filler in cut flowers, years ago it was added free to the bunch of roases or daisies, along with some fern or leaves and baby's breath... but now... we have to buy them separately or pay extra  in a bunch...

Statice  we are used to are violet and deep pink...violet one came from california...pink variety I think was grown in specialty gardens for the cut flower trade, where I do not know...

Usha di

Bhatt Sweta

Jun 27, 2011, 7:20:48 AM6/27/11
to ushadi Micromini, Farida Abraham, Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
There are many varieties of statice available and is a common cultivar.
The ones which we usually see as fillers, at least in Gujarat and Maharashtra are generally of purple and white colors.
We can use them as dry flowers as well, by hanging them for about week, upside down in dark conditions.

Shweta
--
Bhatt Shweta
Doctoral Research Student,

Satish Phadke

Jun 28, 2011, 3:51:03 PM6/28/11
to Bhatt Sweta, ushadi Micromini, Farida Abraham, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji; Usha di; Farida ji and Sweta ji for your inputs.
Dr Phadke