Pangi flowers al020911a

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 2, 2011, 1:49:13 PM9/2/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Pangi was dry... and dusty (due to excessive road-making) and with no
rains... a lot of flowers and shrubs have been buried under rampant
debris dumping... I am sure that a lot of species would be lost if this
carries on....

Location Pangi valley
Altitude 2000 mts
Habit herb
Habitat wild
Height 3 feet

regards
Alok
--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,

www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com
http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new=true&id=2186

080111_1567.jpg
080111_1566.jpg
080111_1564.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 2, 2011, 10:22:04 PM9/2/11
to Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Sambucus wightiana

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tanay Bose

Sep 2, 2011, 11:46:51 PM9/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Alok Mahendroo, efloraofindia
Sambucus wightiana
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

hemant

Sep 3, 2011, 12:49:42 AM9/3/11
to efloraofindia
Sambucus hookeri
Commonly used on borders of ornamental gardens in Sahydris.

Hemant Bedekar

On Sep 2, 7:22 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sambucus wightiana
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Alok Mahendroo <alokisabe...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Dear friends,
>
> > Pangi was dry... and dusty (due to excessive road-making) and with no
> > rains... a lot of flowers and shrubs have been buried under rampant
> > debris dumping... I am sure that a lot of species would be lost if this
> > carries on....
>
> > Location Pangi valley
> > Altitude 2000 mts
> > Habit herb
> > Habitat wild
> > Height 3 feet
>
> > regards
> > Alok
> > --
> > Himalayan Village Education Trust
> > Village Khudgot,
> > P.O. Dalhousie
> > District Chamba
> > H.P. 176304, India
>
> >www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
> >www.forwildlife.wordpress.com
>
> >http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/observations_by_user?_js=on&_new...

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 3, 2011, 1:10:59 PM9/3/11
to Tanay Bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir I thought it looked different from the first Sambucus wightiana id'd
from kalatope 'id al270411a'
regards
Alok..
kalatope wightiana.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2011, 10:41:59 PM9/3/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Alok ji
I had a second look at your Kalatope plant.

It appears to be an umbellifer, perhaps Heracleum candicans. Please upload in separate thread if you have some better photographs of that.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2011, 11:22:36 PM9/3/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
For last few days I have been trying to find some reliable differences between three Himalayan species, but frankly not much to choose, although S. adnata and S. chinensis (syn: S. javanica, S. hookeri) are distributed Nepal eastwards and S. wightiana in Western Himalayas. S. chinensis is also distinct in upper pair of leaflets not decurrent at base and 2-4 glandular teeth on lateral leaflets. S. adnata and S. wightiana are closely similar but latter has large stipules, not found in former. Here are few images of S. adnata:

Under these circumstances, it feels reasonable to treat your plant as S. wightiana.

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 4, 2011, 1:09:09 AM9/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
OK sir will do so now..
Regards
Alok

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 4, 2011, 1:59:47 AM9/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Thank you for all the interest you take in our observations.. it does
help in keeping us too striving towards betterment.. Here are the photos
of the S. wightiana as id'd earlier.. in case there are any further
details required of this observation, please do let me know as I noticed
this plant has been flowering after monsoons too..

Location Kalatope, Chamba
Altitude 2100 mts
Habit herb
Habitat wild
Plant height 12 inches (as against the Pangi observation which was about
3 feet)

regards
Alok

regards
Alok

On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 08:11 +0530, Gurcharan Singh wrote:

> Heracleum candicans

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 4, 2011, 3:13:40 AM9/4/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Alok ji
You have missed attachment, but I had seen the thread and revised identification of Kalatope plant as Heracleum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 4, 2011, 4:06:09 AM9/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Very sorry sir,
here they are...
Regards
Alok
DSCN8105.jpg
DSCN8099.jpg
DSCN7604.jpg
DSCN7600.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 4, 2011, 4:15:13 AM9/4/11
to Alok Mahendroo, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Yes Alok ji
Observe enlarged leaf sheath in third and fourth photographs, alternate leaves and more important bilobed petals in your second photograph , of which one is largest, two medium sized and two very small. Heracleum candicans as I wrote earlier.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Alok Mahendroo

Sep 4, 2011, 6:28:36 AM9/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Tanay Bose, efloraofindia
Thank you sir,
Regards
Alok