Dhoodi leaves and stalk as fodder for domestic animals

raghu ananth

Nov 19, 2010, 6:21:09 AM11/19/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

An areca farm worker carrying home dhoodi (dudi, dhudi ...  guess its a silk cotton tree ) leaves and stalk, as fodder for his sheep and goat

How do the tree look like then? Will post a tall doodi tree from the areca plantation soon.

Chandagal village, Mysore district

Sep 2010

Regards
Raghu

DSC_7188a0.jpg
DSC_7186a.jpg
DSC_7187b.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Dec 3, 2010, 5:20:07 PM12/3/10
to efloraofindia
I think it is Ceiba pentandra Bombacaceae. I am not sure.

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi
Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122
INDONESIA
>  DSC_7188a0.jpg
> 247KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_7186a.jpg
> 201KViewDownload
>
>  DSC_7187b.jpg
> 188KViewDownload

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 5:25:32 PM12/3/10
to Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Does look like a Bombacaceae member! But cant be sure about Ceiba. Why
not Bombax?
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Vijayasankar

Dec 3, 2010, 5:30:58 PM12/3/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Generally (or always) Ceiba pentandra is planted around fields/plantations mainly for extraction of silk-cotton. Bombax ceiba is seldom planted. And the plants in the pictures look more of the former species to me.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 3, 2010, 5:45:50 PM12/3/10
to Vijayasankar, Pudji Widodo, efloraofindia
Thanks for the clarification Dr. Vijay.
Regards
Pankaj

Pudji Widodo