Fruits & Vegetables :: Red Bananas from Sri Lanka : 030111:AK-2

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 3, 2011, 1:56:03 AM1/3/11
to efloraofindia
Another variety of Bananas from Sri Lanka.
Are these Poovan Bananas?
Aarti
P1110320.JPG

tanay bose

Jan 3, 2011, 1:58:20 AM1/3/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
I have seen this type of banana in southern sates of India
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

mani nair

Jan 3, 2011, 5:03:28 AM1/3/11
to tanay bose, Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Aarti ji, this is not Poovan type.  Poovan is always yellow in color.  This is some hybrid variety.

Regards,

Mani.

Jency Samuel

Jan 3, 2011, 11:25:29 AM1/3/11
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
These again are available in Tamil Nadu, but more in Kerala. This is not Poovan variety. (I will try to post pics of Poovan) Locally it's called Sevvaalai (the 'l' pronounced with the 'twist of the tongue 'zh' sound) meaning 'red banana'.

Jency
Chennai

manudev madhavan

Jan 8, 2011, 6:16:39 AM1/8/11
to Jency Samuel, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
Could it be the "Kadhali" banana??
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Systematic & Floristic Lab,

J.M. Garg

Apr 20, 2011, 3:52:13 AM4/20/11
to efloraofindia, mani nair, tanay bose, Jency Samuel, manudev madhavan, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com

Forwarding again for Botanical name please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I have seen this type of banana in southern sates of India
Tanay”

“Aarti ji, this is not Poovan type.  Poovan is always yellow in color.  This is some hybrid variety.

Regards,

Mani."

“These again are available in Tamil Nadu, but more in Kerala. This is not Poovan variety. (I will try to post pics of Poovan) Locally it's called Sevvaalai (the 'l' pronounced with the 'twist of the tongue 'zh' sound) meaning 'red banana'.

Jency
Chennai”

"Could it be the "Kadhali" banana??" from Mandev ji.

Another variety of Bananas from Sri Lanka.
Are these Poovan Bananas?
Aarti

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

P1110320.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2011, 10:02:21 AM4/22/11
to efloraofindia, mani nair, tanay bose, Jency Samuel, manudev madhavan, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com
A reply:
"This is called as "Kappa  pazham" in southern Kerala. It is also known as "Chenkadali" in some places.
Dr.M. Sabu
Secretary, IAAT
Professor, Department of Botany
University of Calicut
Kerala, 673635
India."

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 23, 2011, 11:30:57 AM4/23/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mani nair, tanay bose, Jency Samuel, manudev madhavan, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com
I FIRST BROUGHT THIS banana from \kerala asan item of curiosity for my children decades ago from Kerala where it is available in plenty. But taste wise it is not so good. Some other yellow varieties are sweeter and have better fragrance.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Yazdy Palia

Apr 23, 2011, 2:46:28 PM4/23/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, mani nair, tanay bose, Jency Samuel, manudev madhavan, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com

J.M. Garg

Apr 24, 2011, 2:26:58 AM4/24/11
to efloraofindia, mani nair, tanay bose, Jency Samuel, manudev madhavan, uda...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, nmk...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, ras...@gmail.com
A reply from Mahadeswara ji:
"Looks like Cheng Kathali  variety of banana.This variety is also sold in Chennai in a few stores.  I remember to  have seen this variety in Indian stores in California and elsewhere in US also .   It is better if you refer to Wealth of India, published by CSIR to confirm the variety.  I do not have access to this book here. "

J.M. Garg

Aug 11, 2011, 1:04:12 AM8/11/11
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Mahadeswara Swamy, manudev madhavan, mani nair, Jency Samuel, Sabu Mamiyil, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Yazdy Palia
Forwarding again for Botanical name please.

Aug 11, 2011, 1:14:58 AM8/11/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Mahadeswara Swamy, manudev madhavan, mani nair, Jency Samuel, Sabu Mamiyil, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Yazdy Palia
musa sp.

mani nair

Aug 11, 2011, 4:55:39 AM8/11/11
to ajinkya gadave, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Mahadeswara Swamy, manudev madhavan, Jency Samuel, Sabu Mamiyil, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Yazdy Palia
In Malayalam we call it Kadali Pazham.  Waiting for the English name.
Regards,
Mani.

Mahadeswara

Aug 11, 2011, 10:29:46 AM8/11/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Musa spientum, Kuntze. There are many varieties.( Ref. Compendium of
medicinal plants - By Niir Board). Any change in the valid name may
be updated.