Flower ID Request 13-08-2011

Amar

Aug 13, 2011, 3:20:23 AM8/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I grabbed this pic of a flower growing in IIT Bombay today. The plant had grown to about 1.5 metres and the flowers appeared to borne on a deep blood red pedicel (that's what I believe it is called). I have attached two crops, one of the flower and the other of the leaves. Please let me know what flower it could be.

Regards,

Amar
DSCF2750.JPG
DSCF2749.JPG

vidyadhar ogale

Aug 13, 2011, 3:24:32 AM8/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is probably Costus speciosus. Common in Sahyadri, especially in monsoon locally known as Koshtha or Pev.
Dr.Ogale

Nayan Singh

Aug 13, 2011, 3:28:48 AM8/13/11
to vidyadhar ogale, indiantreepix
yes it is
now known as Cheilocostus speciosus (J.König)

thanks

Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100
Aug 13, 2011, 1:34:31 PM8/13/11
to Amar, indiantreepix, Nayan Singh, vko...@gmail.com
Yes it is Cheilocostus speciosus (J.König) C.Specht of Costaceae
family.

Regards,
Giby

Ushadi micromini

Aug 14, 2011, 1:45:10 AM8/14/11
to efloraofindia
Its not the flower that's important, its the roots../rhizomes...
my question... did you get to photograph the stem of this plant?

Usha di