Fruits & Vegetables Week: Tamarindus indicus, the tamarind

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 7:18:28 AM1/13/11
to efloraofindia
 Tamarindus indicus, the tamarind, the now popularly eaten as table fruit, having been used largely in sauces, chutneys, and beverages.

Local names
Hindi: Imli, ambli
Beng: Tentul, ambli
Mar: Chinch, chicha
Guj: Amli, ambli,
Tel: Chintachettu, sintachettu
Tam: Pulli, amitam

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tamarindus-indicus-Delhi-3.jpg
Tamarindus-indicus-Delhi-2.jpg
Tamarindus-indicus-Delhi-1.jpg
Tamarindus-indicus-Delhi-4.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 13, 2011, 8:16:46 AM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir Ji will you mind mailing me the original size second photo
I want to make it my desktop wallpaper
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 10:22:14 AM1/13/11
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
I have sent, this one and two more.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Jan 13, 2011, 11:14:37 AM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir Ji
Tanay

mani nair

Jan 13, 2011, 11:14:43 PM1/13/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji, the tamarind is also an ingredient  in  Sambhar.

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 11:21:22 PM1/13/11
to mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Yes Mani ji, thanks for adding information

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Jan 14, 2011, 3:06:17 AM1/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Excellent close-up of the flowers Sir, Thankyou for sharing.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Jan 14, 2011, 3:14:41 AM1/14/11
to mani nair, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
One interesting story mentioned in the book 'The Garden of Life' by Naveen Patnaik- pg 110  is with regards to legendary singer Tansen.   The book mentions there is a famous tamarind tree in India which stands over the tomb of the legendary Indian singer Tansen whose golden voice made him one of the nine gems in Akbar's court. It is mentioned that four centuries later, India's finest classical sinders still travel to Tansen's tomb to pluck leaves from this tamarind tree to make into throat gargles, in the hope that their voices will become as pure as Tansen's !!

regards,
Rashida.

mani nair

Jan 14, 2011, 3:16:19 AM1/14/11
to Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Good peace of information Rashida ji.

Regards,

Mani.

Rashida Atthar

Jan 14, 2011, 3:34:21 AM1/14/11
to mani nair, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Mani ji. Please read as 'finest classical singers,' sorry for the typo!

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 14, 2011, 4:27:30 AM1/14/11
to Rashida Atthar, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Rashida ji

WELCOME TO THE STORY-TELLERS GROUP
Nabha ji, Madhuri ji, Me, Pankaj ji and now you. Such side stories add a real spice to the botanical information. Wish more members will add to this list and make the interactions more interesting and fascinating. earlier there was a good session on slates and Rumex.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Rashida Atthar

Jan 14, 2011, 4:46:51 AM1/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Thankyou Sir, could not resist telling the same since  none other than  Tansen was involved !! Hopefully shall continue !

regards,
Rashida.

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 14, 2011, 4:52:30 AM1/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Rashida Atthar, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
:)... there are many such stories. I think I will try adding some from
time to time....it will be fun to read!!
Pankaj

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Rashida Atthar

Jan 14, 2011, 5:12:17 AM1/14/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
As diverse and living in different time zones so to say, as India is, here's  a use mentioned in the same source as above, which is the reality of our  country--the author mentions that tree is of  greatest use to the poor tribes of our country who live in the forest. In times of famine they husk the tamarind seeds, which are than boiled and powered into flour to make bread.

regards,
Rashida.

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 14, 2011, 10:16:13 AM1/14/11
to Rashida Atthar, Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
He Sir Ji
Thanks for the title'
Actually continuousy reading , discussing about studies and administration when i go on eflora it is a recreation for me.
And I feel that you Nabhaji and Me are the oldtimers on the group so sharing becomes really a time pass.
Madhuri

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 14, 2011, 10:55:29 PM1/14/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, Rashida Atthar, mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Yes Madhuri ji
Hard work and maximum enjoyment is my motto in life. Let us make intereactions on this group more and more enjoyable,