ID request-20022011-PKA2

Prashant awale

Feb 20, 2011, 11:44:00 AM2/20/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Seen this tree on the way to Matheran Hill.

Date/Time: 19-02-2011 / 08:50AM
Habitat: Wild
Plant Habit: Tree

regards
Prashant
IMG_4752.jpg
IMG_4753.jpg
IMG_4755.jpg

tanay bose

Feb 20, 2011, 9:03:01 PM2/20/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Is it some species of Terminalia ??
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 20, 2011, 11:50:33 PM2/20/11
to tanay bose, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Dear Prashant and Tanay, this looks to me ... Mallotus nudiflorus (popular synonym: Trewia nudiflora) ... the tree must have caught on with some kind of infection.
Regards.
Dinesh

tanay bose

Feb 21, 2011, 12:06:53 AM2/21/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
thanks for correcting me dinesh ji
Tanay

Pravin Kawale

Feb 21, 2011, 6:36:34 AM2/21/11
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Hi,
It is male flowers of the same i.e. Trewia nudiflora
Regards
--
Pravin

Prashant awale

Feb 21, 2011, 7:05:35 AM2/21/11
to Pravin Kawale, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Thanks Pravin ji, Dinesh ji for the info.
regards
Prashant

radha veach

Jun 9, 2021, 4:48:25 PM6/9/21
to efloraofindia
This is Mallotus polycarpus. Male flowers have red calyx here, whereas M. nudiflorus male flowers have greenish calyx.

regards
Radha

Dinesh Valke

Jun 11, 2021, 12:25:36 PM6/11/21
to efloraofindia
Thanks Radha for resurfacing this post and validating the ID.
To me too, it is Mallotus polycarpus. Then during those times, most of the  M. polycarpus IDs were mistaken for M. nudiflorus.
Regards.
Dinesh