Lemon Grass-061210MN

mani nair

Dec 6, 2010, 12:22:40 PM12/6/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending a photo of Lemon grass.

Cymbopogon citratus    Family: Poaceae (Grass family)
Place    Ovalekar Wadi Butterfly garden, Owala Village, Thane.
Date     : 5/12/10
Habitat  :  Cultivated

Regards,

Mani.

DSC06033.JPG
DSC06034.JPG
DSC06035.JPG

tanay bose

Dec 6, 2010, 12:52:22 PM12/6/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the Lovely grass photo
along with photos of some delicious "Desi Murga"

tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 6, 2010, 4:20:35 PM12/6/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
There are more than one Cymbopogon which is considered as lemongrass!
Cant be sure of the species here!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 6, 2010, 5:51:37 PM12/6/10
to Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see this useful plant

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mahadeswara

Dec 6, 2010, 10:29:19 PM12/6/10
to efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar, mani nair
The best test to confirm the lemon grass is to smash the leaves and
smell, which gives the real smell of lemon

On Dec 7, 2:20 am, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are more than one Cymbopogon which is considered as lemongrass!
> Cant be sure of the species here!!
> Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 6, 2010, 11:24:02 PM12/6/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar, mani nair
Lemongrass in India refers to atleast two species, East Indian, Cymbopogon flexuosus (DC.) Stapf., and West Indian, Cymbopogon citratus (DC. ex Nees) Stapf. East Indian lemongrass, is also known as cochin or Malabar grass and  is native to India. West Indian lemongrass is native to southern India and Sri Lanka.
   Some other species of the genus include C. nardus, Citronella grass, the source of Citronella oil and C. martinii, the source of Palmerosa oil from the variety known as “Motia” and Ginger-grass oil from “Sofia”.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

mani nair

Dec 6, 2010, 11:25:05 PM12/6/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar, mani nair
Thanks Gurcharan ji, Tanay ji, Mahadeswara ji and Pankaj ji for the compliments.   I got a plant growing in my balcony and we put the crushed leaves in tea and it is very tasty.  It also cures common cold.

Regards,

Mani.