Dalhousie id al210411

Alok Mahendroo

Apr 21, 2011, 3:17:16 AM4/21/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends
A herb for identification...

Location Bathri Chamba
Altitude 1400 mts
Habit herb
Habitat wild/roadside
Height 30 inches

regards
Alok
--
Himalayan Village Education Trust
Village Khudgot,
P.O. Dalhousie
District Chamba
H.P. 176304, India
www.hive.interconnection.org
www.hivetrust.wordpress.com
www.forwildlife.wordpress.com

DSCN7282.jpg
DSCN7284.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Apr 21, 2011, 3:54:29 AM4/21/11
to Alok Mahendroo, indian...@googlegroups.com
... related to tobacco ? (guessing based on colour and shape of flowers).
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 21, 2011, 6:47:22 AM4/21/11
to Dinesh Valke, Alok Mahendroo, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nicotiana tabacum

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Apr 21, 2011, 10:26:20 AM4/21/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Alok Mahendroo, indian...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Dinesh Ji Nicotiana tabacum one of our beloved plant
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Alok Mahendroo

Apr 21, 2011, 11:00:14 AM4/21/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Interesting...!! This plant was growing along the highway from Pathankot
to Chamba... guess the locals must have let it spread... but there is
local tobacco used here which I guess could be from this...
Thank you
Dinesh ji, Gurcharan ji and Tanay ji for the id...
regards
Alok

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 07:26 -0700, tanay bose wrote:
> Great idea Dinesh Ji Nicotiana tabacum one of our beloved plant
> Tanay
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Nicotiana tabacum
>

> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired Associate Professor
> Phone: 011-25518297 Mob: 9810359089
> http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Dinesh Valke
> <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... related to tobacco ? (guessing based on colour and
> shape of flowers).
> Regards.
> Dinesh

Ushadi micromini

Apr 21, 2011, 10:23:19 PM4/21/11
to efloraofindia
Dear All: made me laugh when I read that Tanay thinks its a beloved
plant... yes beloved of tobacco giants, bidiwallas, and tamaku
chewers, and the family that got rich by mixing selling p**para*
(please don't say it, its a brand name) ... and the share holders who
got rich on tobacco equities over the last three hundred years in five
continents....
but not beloved of those of us who deal with misery of LUNG CANCER,
MOUTH and Larynx and Pharynx CANCERs, TONGUE CANCER, URINARY BLADDER
CANCER and childhood ASTHMA... to name a few....

Although I must say the pink flowers are indeed attractive....
Usha di

On Apr 21, 8:00 pm, Alok Mahendroo <alokisabe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting...!! This plant was growing along the highway from Pathankot
> to Chamba... guess the locals must have let it spread... but there is
> local tobacco used here which I guess could be from this...
> Thank you
> Dinesh ji, Gurcharan ji and Tanay ji for the id...
> regards
> Alok
>

> On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 07:26 -0700, tanay bose wrote:
> > Great idea Dinesh Ji Nicotiana tabacum one of our beloved plant
> > Tanay
>
> > On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:47 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >         Nicotiana tabacum
>
> >         --
> >         Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >         Retired  Associate Professor
> >         SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >         Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >         Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >        http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> >         On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Dinesh Valke

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2011, 3:19:49 AM4/22/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Well written Usha di. Tanay what made tobacco your beloved, or your friends ever gave you a mix to try on any sweet holi day?......Nashaa abhi tak kayam hai...........................Now our whole Delhi University campus is a no tobacco cum zero tolerance zone, but there was a time when tobacco smoking was very prevalent, still our College was a no tobacco zone, and few teachers who could not resist for long, would come out our College area for some time to satisfy their need. Luckily now more and more people (especially the educated class) have known the hazards of tobacco smoking, and most don't use it now. Luckily our youngsters have realised this much faster.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Na Bha

Apr 22, 2011, 6:34:00 AM4/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Yes, the flowers are beautiful and water boiled with tobaco leaves, is used to get rid of greenfly.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 22, 2011, 6:52:11 AM4/22/11
to Na Bha, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
One vote for Tanay.....................but is Tanay so afraid of greenfly?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Apr 22, 2011, 3:15:13 PM4/22/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Nalini: nice to know.... sometimes aphids are a big menace ....
don't like to crush them as some books suggest, may be spraying with
soapy water works, but if tobacco water can get them to scurry away
that would be nice... may be they 'll go elsewhere away from my small
balcony forest... I'll definitely try this ...
Usha di .

On Apr 22, 3:34 pm, "Na Bha" <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Yes, the flowers are beautiful and water boiled with tobaco leaves, is used to get rid of greenfly.

Alok

Apr 23, 2011, 9:31:20 AM4/23/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends
You see friends.. it is not the plant itself which is good or bad.. it
is our use of it... :)
an extract from PFAF.org

A protein can be extracted from the leaves. It is an odourless,
tasteless white powder and can be added to cereal grains, vegetables,
soft drinks and other foods. It can be whipped like egg whites,
liquefied or gelled and can take on the flavour and texture of a
variety of foods. It is 99.5% protein, contains no salt, fat or
cholesterol. It is currently (1991) being tested as a low calorie
substitute for mayonnaise and whipped cream.

Medicinal Uses

Tobacco has a long history of use by medical herbalists as a relaxant,
though since it is a highly additive drug it is seldom employed
internally or externally at present. The leaves are antispasmodic,
discutient, diuretic, emetic, expectorant, irritant, narcotic,
sedative and sialagogue. They are used externally in the treatment of
rheumatic swelling, skin diseases and scorpion stings. The plant
should be used with great caution, when taken internally it is an
addictive narcotic. The active ingredients can also be absorbed
through the skin. Wet tobacco leaves can be applied to stings in order
to relieve the pain. They are also a certain cure for painful piles. A
homeopathic remedy is made from the dried leaves. It is used in the
treatment of nausea and travel sickness.

Regards
Alok

On Apr 22, 7:23 am, Ushadi micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > H.P. 176304, Indiawww.hive.interconnection.orgwww.hivetrust.wordpress.comwww.forwildlif...

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 23, 2011, 9:44:48 AM4/23/11
to Alok, efloraofindia
Well written Alok ji

You see friends.. it is not the plant itself which is good or bad.. it
is our use of it...

Never mind, we were just pulling Tanay's legs.....a lighter touch to the interactions.....for writing it as 'beloved plant'

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Ushadi micromini

Apr 23, 2011, 11:22:47 PM4/23/11
to efloraofindia, Alok
Dear Alok: you are right.... no plant is a villain... its usefulness
and goodness is not doubted,
and if you read history even doctors recommended its use... just look
at the ads in Life magazine in the last century early half...

but the current society's use is... definitely and most
rigorously.... doubted and objected to...
and its the humans who have vilified it so heavily, and those of us
humans who deal with the end result of human use in human suffering
have a very bad impression of it... that's all...
Love for all those plants...
ushadi
=