Fruits & Vegetables Week: Spondias pinnata, the Hog-plum

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 7:01:39 AM1/13/11
to efloraofindia
Spondias pinnata, the Hog-plum or Wild mango, Ripe fruits are eaten, young ones used as vegetable, also used in cchutneys, pickles, jams and stews

Local Names
Hindi: Amra, Jangli Am
Beb: Amna, Amra, ambra
Mar: Ranamba, amb, ambada
Guj: Ranamba
Tel: Adavlmaabidi, kondamaamidi
Tam: Kotamara, mari-man-chedi, manpulichi
Mal: Katabolam, ambazham

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Spondias-pinnata-Delhi-1.jpg
Spondias-pinnata-Delhi-2.jpg
Spondias-pinnata-Delhi-3.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 13, 2011, 8:13:55 AM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir Ji the first photo I believe is not of Spondias pinnata
rather from "Star fruit" - Averrhoa carambola
Please check !

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 13, 2011, 10:18:29 AM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
I imagine, if the fruits are of correct plant!!
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 10:31:14 AM1/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
May be I mixed up. The first one (fruit) is from Sunder Nursery (I think Tanay ir right. it is not Spondias, rather star fruit), the other two are from DU nursery (Pl. confirm their identity). I think I have good photographs star fruit. I will upload them now.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Jan 13, 2011, 1:09:41 PM1/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Hi Prof. Singh,
    Affirmative. There is some mix-up. None of the photographs are of Spondias pinnata.
                             Regards,
                              Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 8:40:25 PM1/13/11
to Neil Soares, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Neil ji

Could you identify the last two photographs

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

Jan 13, 2011, 10:41:30 PM1/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Hi Prof. Singh,
  The last 2 photographs are of the Toon Tree [Toona ciliata].
                      Regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 13, 2011, 11:59:18 PM1/13/11
to Neil Soares, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Neil ji
I think you are right, I have some identified photographs of Toona ciliata, I am uploading now. Kindly validate

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Toona-ciliata-Delhi-1.jpg
Toona-ciliata-Delhi-2.jpg
Toona-ciliata-Delhi-3.jpg
Toona-ciliata-Delhi-4.jpg

Neil Soares

Jan 14, 2011, 1:45:28 AM1/14/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Affirmative Prof. Singh.