Fruit on Curry leaf... Is this rare?

Dev Kumar

Nov 16, 2010, 3:38:02 AM11/16/10
to indiantreepix
Mhow, Indore, Madhya Pradesh

Fruit on curry leaf tree.. Is this a rare occurrence? Some friends
tell me that they have never seen this before even though they have
the tree in their compounds...

DSC06182.JPG

Yazdy Palia

Nov 16, 2010, 4:21:43 AM11/16/10
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
It is not rare, we used to get it regularly.
Regards
Yazdy.

Satish Phadke

Nov 16, 2010, 4:26:30 AM11/16/10
to Dev Kumar, indiantreepix
Here is Murraya Koenigii the curry leaf plant from my balcony showing flowers and fruits.
Family Rutaceae.
Murraya1.jpg

Mahadeswara

Nov 16, 2010, 6:29:54 AM11/16/10
to efloraofindia
This is a very common plant in South India and practically every
house has one plant. People do not allow it to flower and fruit as
they remove the leaves regularly, often the young branches are pruned.
One can see bunches of fruits : green turning to read and then
black, if allowed to flower and fruit.

On Nov 16, 2:26 pm, Satish Phadke <drsmpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is *Murraya Koenigii* the curry leaf plant from my balcony showing
> flowers and fruits.
> Family Rutaceae.
>
> On 16 November 2010 14:08, Dev Kumar <dev.kumar.vasude...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Mhow, Indore, Madhya Pradesh
>
> > Fruit on curry leaf tree.. Is this a rare occurrence? Some friends
> > tell me that they have never seen this before even though they have
> > the tree in their compounds...
>

>  Murraya1.jpg
> 139KViewDownload

tanay bose

Nov 16, 2010, 8:54:56 AM11/16/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Murraya Koenigii !!
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 16, 2010, 12:31:05 PM11/16/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Murraya koenigii (L.) Spreng. Syst. Veg. (ed. 16) [Sprengel] 2: 315. 1825
Syn: Bergera koenigii L. Mant. Pl. Altera 565. 1771
Type: Lectotype - König s.n., Herb. Linn. No. 548.1 (LINN)

Note: with a small 'k'.

Absolutely NOT RARE. Very common in plains as well as lower part of himalayas.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

TYPE M KOENIGII.JPG

roozbeh gazdar

Nov 17, 2010, 1:31:15 PM11/17/10
to Mahadeswara, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
My potted curry leaf plant on the balcony (in Mumbai) flowers and fruits regularly. the flowers are slightly aromatic.

As Pankaj ji noted, either people do not allow it to flower or simply do not notice it happening.

Roozbeh