Barringtonia acutangula

Satish Phadke

Feb 28, 2011, 8:46:51 AM2/28/11
to indiantreepix
Barringtonia acutangula
Family : Barringtoniaceae.
Native to India esp.Konkan
Observed few large trees in Rani Bag Mumbai. 27 Feb 2011.
Dr Phadke
_MG_0880s.jpg
_MG_0669s.jpg
_MG_0670s.jpg
_MG_0672s.jpg
_MG_0675s.jpg
_MG_0676s.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 28, 2011, 9:08:40 AM2/28/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Beautiful pics.
Just wanted to clarify, this now belongs to family, Lecythidaceae.
The family contains 3 subfamilies (source: Wikipedia):

Foetidioideae (Foetidiaceae). Madagascar. Includes only Foetidia.
Planchonioideae (including Barringtoniaceae). Restricted to the Old
World tropics.
Lecythidoideae (Lecythidaceae). Restricted to the New World tropics.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Satish Phadke

Feb 28, 2011, 9:11:10 AM2/28/11
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks for the appreciation and new addition to my knowledge........
Dr Satish Phadke

tanay bose

Feb 28, 2011, 9:54:07 AM2/28/11
to Satish Phadke, Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thanks for the info
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pardeshi S.

Feb 28, 2011, 11:47:13 PM2/28/11
to efloraofindia
I have read in a thesis at Mumbai univeristy (Arboreal flora of Thane
city) about yellow variety of Barringtonia acutangula which was
observed in some private building compound. any body in the group
might have came across yellow variety may kindly upload the same.

regards
Satish Pardeshi