Sikkim Trip

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 2:32:47 PM2/15/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Respected Sirs and dear friends,
From tomorrow (16th) evening onwards I would be on trip to Delhi and
on 18th to Sikkim (Pakyong and Gangtok) and higher altitudes of West
Bengal (Kalimpong and Darjeeling) and hence, as usual, I wont be able
to contribute much on eflora.
From 18th - 21st I would be busy but afterwards (21st - 25th) I will
just be roaming around as much as I can. I would be back to Delhi on
25th evening and to Dehradun by 27th. This is going to be my first
trip to NE and I am really excited. I would really be interested in
meeting any members from Sikkim region during my trip. Anyone
interested may call me on +919412368451.
Thanks for all your support and encouragement.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Vijayasankar

Feb 15, 2011, 2:45:32 PM2/15/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Your tour program sounds really great! I am missing those trips nowadays.
My best wishes for a 'fruitful' (and flowerful!) trip. I had a chance to visit Manipur and i just loved it.
Hope you also will thoroughly enjoy your Darjeeling and Sikkim trip.
Look forward to see your raining pictures of NE plant wealth.
Are you going alone (to Darjeeling)?!

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

33A.gif

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 2:47:43 PM2/15/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Yeah alone :(....  you are putting salt on my wounds !!
33A.gif

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 15, 2011, 2:51:47 PM2/15/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Extremely sorry, that was not meant for public view!!!:P

Thanks a lot Dr. Vijay, but hope you are aware of this Gorkhaland agitation going on in that part and the recent bands and killings.
Hopefully that doesnt hamper my trip. Hope they dont shoot me :P
Yes, I will have 4 days for flower shooting, but its too cold for most of the plants to flower, but hopefully I will find some.
Thanks.
Regards
Pankaj
33A.gif

Vijayasankar

Feb 15, 2011, 3:25:18 PM2/15/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Wishing you a safe journey, Dr.Pankaj. Try to have (or hire) a local person to accompany you all the time when you are in NE. It really helps a lot and saves lot of time to deal with guards.
Keep sufficient id proof and sanction letter etc. from your department and the local forest dept. We had to show these several times in a day in Manipur. I don't know about the situation here.
The safest thing to do in NE is: go with a local guide. I guess you know many botanists from the region. So you shouldn't have any problem.

Good luck

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

33A.gif

Balkar Arya

Feb 16, 2011, 12:05:37 AM2/16/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Wish you a happy safe and flowerfull journey. One of my friend is there in darjeeling Area Major (Dr) Nepal. I may ask him to help if you need.
Best of Luck and Best of Journey

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Vijayadas D

Feb 16, 2011, 12:40:56 AM2/16/11
to itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Best wishes,

Vijayadas

Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy
Salwa Garden Village, PB -7210
Riyadh -11462 , KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Sid

Feb 16, 2011, 12:44:41 AM2/16/11
to Pankaj Kumar, itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Dear Pankaj,

Seems to be a very adventurous journey. Probably you can make a documentary on of your trip. Good luck for your trip.

Sid.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 16, 2011, 12:57:48 AM2/16/11
to Sid, itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Thanks a lot Dr. Vijay, Dr. Amit, Dr. Viay 2 :), Dr. Sid for the good
wishes. Will see if I need someone then I will contact people
appropriately, though I also have some of my own contacts outside the
group.
Regards
Pankaj

hari lal

Feb 17, 2011, 2:31:15 AM2/17/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Sid, itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
dearest bhaiya
for orchid cherapunji is best i have seen in last year sept its nice .
hari shankar lal

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 17, 2011, 9:37:31 AM2/17/11
to hari lal, Sid, itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Dear Hari,
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Cherrapunji is in Meghalaya I assume,
and I am not going that far.
But if I get a company and have time then surely I would lvoe to go there.
But first thing is to reach Sikkim safely :).
Regards
Pankaj

manudev madhavan

Feb 18, 2011, 4:56:09 AM2/18/11
to Pankaj Kumar, hari lal, Sid, itp...@googlegroups.com, indiantreepix
Pankaj ji,

I am very much excited to that you are on a trip ti North East...
I am planning to visit the NE states during the summer..
Am not sure whether you have finished your expedition,,??
Anyway..enjoy the trip.. Wish you all the best..

regards
--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Feb 18, 2011, 12:41:46 PM2/18/11
to ITPmods, indiantreepix
Greetings from the capital of Sikkim. Its cold and on our Tavera drive
from Bagdogra with Dr. Sathish Kumar and few more experts, saw a lot
of Orchids. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to stop the vehicle to
take pictures are there was a band today by the gorkhaland demanding
groups. Conference starts from tomorrow.
But till now, I am safe and sound.
MY NET IS TOO SLOW AND I AM UNABLE TO OPEN MANY OF THE MAILS.
Regards
Pankaj