Bothriochloa ischaemum from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 1, 2011, 8:35:37 AM9/1/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Bothriochloa ischaemum (L.) Keng, Contr. Biol. Lab. Sci. Soc. China, Bot. Ser. 10:201. 1936
syn: Andropogon ischaemum L.; Dichanthium ischaemum (L.) Roberty

Tufted perennial herb mostly basal leaves; stems erect or geniculately ascending, up to 60 cm high. Leaf-blades up to 15 cm long, 2-4 mm wide. Inflorescence with 5-13 subdigitate 4-6 cm long racemes; shortly pedunculate, the peduncles glabrous. Sessile spikelet oblong-lanceolate, 3.5-5 mm long; lower glume chartaceous, hairy below the middle, not glossy, without a pit, acute; awn 12-15 mm long. Pedicelled spikelet glabrous on the back, without a pit.

Common in lawns in Kashmir. Photographed from Srinagar and Baramulla in Kashmir in June.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Bothriochloa-ischaemum-Baramula-Kashmir-3.jpg
Bothriochloa-ischaemum-Kashmir-a.jpg
Bothriochloa-ischaemum-Kashmir-b.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 1, 2011, 12:28:25 PM9/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
I think this is common in plains also
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 1, 2011, 9:59:48 PM9/1/11
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
That is B. pertusa, Balkar ji
But easily confused with Dichanthium annulatum.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 1, 2011, 10:16:36 PM9/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Thanks for clarification Sir

Ushadi micromini

Sep 2, 2011, 1:08:02 AM9/2/11
to efloraofindia
is this the plant that sticks its seeds to pants hems or sari hemms
as one walks thru um-mowed grassy areas... ??/

Usha di
========

On Sep 2, 7:16 am, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for clarification Sir
>

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That is B. pertusa, Balkar ji
> > But easily confused with Dichanthium annulatum.
>
> > --
>
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I think this is common in plains also