Xanthium spinosum invasive in Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 13, 2011, 3:12:22 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Xanthium spinosum L., Sp. pl. 2:987. 1753
syn: Xanthium ambrosioides Hooker & Arnott

Common names: Bathurst-bur, prickly burweed, spiny cocklebur

A South American plant having become invasive in many parts of Old World. Perhaps a recent introduction in Kashmir, where it has become common along roadsides and waste places.

Annual plant, up to 1 m tall, often much branched; nodes with spines in pairs, simple or 2-3 partite, 1.5-4 cm long; leaves ovate or ovate-lanceolate, 4-8 cm long, up to 5 cm broad, often 3-7-lobed, shining green on upper surface, gray or white beneath; heads globose, in racemes, lower usually pistillate, upper functionally male; burs enclosing cypselae, prickly, 10-15 mm long.

Photographed from Balgarden (July) and Harwan (August) in Kashmir. I had photographed it last year also but then it was in vegetative state. Was able to get flowers and fruits this year.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Xanthium-spinosum-Harwan-Kashmir-2.jpg
Xanthium-spinosum-Harwan-Kashmir-3.jpg
Xanthium-spinosum-Balgarden-Kashmir-1.jpg

Balkar Arya

Aug 13, 2011, 3:19:27 AM8/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
New to me have seen only Xanthium strumarium. Thanks for sharing
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat