Future Monthly Family Weeks

1 view

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 12, 2011, 8:26:37 AM9/12/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends
After the great success Malvaceae Week, and previous episodes let us plan for the future.

Next episode in October will cover Rosaceae. In this family leaf type, number of leaflets in compound leaves, the presence and size of hypanthium, number of stamens and carpels and type and size of fruits is crucial in species determination. Members are requested to keep this in mind while photographing members of this family. My frequent advice: One photograph of habit with leaves and inflorescence in focus, one sidewat close up of flower and one top close up of flower bring out most of these features. Photograph of fruit is always a bonus. I would like any member to volunteer for coordinating this episode.

I was also thinking about having one episode on Spices and Condiments, that should focus the great variability of spices used in different parts of India. I wish a coordinator from South-West  India (where we find a lot of spices), or a lady member (who have more interest in spices) to volunteer to coordinate. We will fix the month accordingly. We would also like to focus Fabaceae, possibly in two episodes (one covering Faboideae and another covering Caesalpinioideae and Mimosoideae), Asteraceae (perhaps in three episodes (discoid heads, ligulate heads and radiate heads), Brassicaceae, Myrtaceae, Bignoniaceae, etc. Members may suggest more and volunteer for coordinating inj the month of their choice.

Information on episodes already covered is provided on the website:

https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/general-eposts/monthly-family-weeks

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

raghu ananth

Sep 13, 2011, 1:01:49 AM9/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Wish we have one episode on Mushrooms- the colorful litte umbrellas that dot our forest paths during  monsoon. Guess we have enough photographers who would be delighted to  showcase as many/best of the little known kingdom. We have with us our Mycologists - Inderjeet ji, Sathish Chili ji and Tanay ji and others who can assist us in identification, confirmations and insights. Together we can explore the many facets of the mushrooms-  the edible one's,  toxic or the toadstool, fairy & the bio luminance types ..., medicinal importance, life cycle, tribal knowledge, ethnic botany-.. so on and so forth.   Please do consider in accordance with the group convenience, scope, norms and time.

Regards
Raghu

Sep 13, 2011, 2:03:23 AM9/13/11
to Gurcharan Singh, raghu ananth, Satish Chile, Inderjeet Sethi, efloraofindia
Great Idea from Raghu Ji..
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

hari lal

Sep 13, 2011, 6:31:23 AM9/13/11
to Tanay Bose, Gurcharan Singh, raghu ananth, Satish Chile, Inderjeet Sethi, efloraofindia
nice idea sir
--
HARI SHANKAR LAL
AT-SHIV KUTIR