Cassia fistula - Indian Laburnum from Dombivli

mani nair

Apr 24, 2011, 10:16:54 AM4/24/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Cassia fistula planted by me ten years ago in a school compound.  It is the flowering season lasting upto June.
This tree is a native of  India.  It sheds its leaves during March and in April bursts into a mass of long, yellow golden flowers.  The fruit is a long pipe like liked by monkeys. The tree is the host plant for the caterpillars of yellow butterflies.

Regards,

Mani.

cassia3.jpg
cassia2.jpg
cassia.jpg

Satish Chile

Apr 24, 2011, 10:28:38 AM4/24/11
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Mani ji, the trees planted by u r bearing flowers and fruits. How
happy the moment.

--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

mani nair

Apr 24, 2011, 10:36:59 AM4/24/11
to Satish Chile, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Satish ji for the compliments.  Yes we feel very happy when the tree planted us bear flowers and  fruits

Regards,

Mani.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 24, 2011, 10:50:54 AM4/24/11
to mani nair, Satish Chile, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mani ji and Satish ji
We in Delhi will have to wait for another 20 to 30 days for this to flower. Once it flowers, it is treat to eyes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

formp...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2011, 10:55:26 AM4/24/11
to mani nair, Efloraindia
The butterfly is emigrant if I am not mistaken.

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: mani nair <mani....@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:46:54 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:67945] Cassia fistula - Indian Laburnum from Dombivli

Neil Soares

Apr 24, 2011, 11:22:36 AM4/24/11
to mani nair, Efloraindia, formp...@yahoo.com
Hi,
 Agreed. It is the food plant of the Common Emigrant.
                       Regards,
                        Neil Soares.

Ushadi micromini

Apr 25, 2011, 10:07:45 AM4/25/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Mani ji: congratulations, its like your baby, and its wonderful
to see it "blossom"...
its a veritable storehouse of medicinal properties.... esp the black
pulp around the small seeds in the seedpod...in bengal the black stick
like pod is called Bandor-lathi......lathi for a monkey... as you say
liked by the monkeys, though Calcutta hardly has any free roaming
monkey left...
I call these types of trees Value added trees for street or Urban
plantings....

My parents planted many such in our neighborhood in Calcutta, many of
whom survive, yet many have been cut down by our city pragmatists to
widen roads... etc... in recent times it has become somewhat
popular in Calcutta streets..

loved to see your tree...
usha di..

-------
>  cassia3.jpg
> 242KViewDownload
>
>  cassia2.jpg
> 150KViewDownload
>
>  cassia.jpg
> 151KViewDownload

H S

Apr 25, 2011, 10:17:33 AM4/25/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Love to see your effort...

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone

mani nair

May 7, 2011, 1:21:16 AM5/7/11
to H S, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks madam.

mani nair

May 7, 2011, 1:24:02 AM5/7/11
to Neil Soares, Efloraindia, formp...@yahoo.com
Thanks Dr. Soares  for the butterfly ID.
regards,
Mani.

mani nair

May 7, 2011, 1:26:12 AM5/7/11
to H S, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks Gurcharan ji and H S for the appreciation.   I feel planting more flowering trees like this.
Regards,
Mani.