TREE ID REQUEST

PUTTARAJU K

Mar 13, 2011, 12:16:22 AM3/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
ON DAY TO DAY TRAIL IN THE KAIGA FOREST, FOUND THIS TREE WITH FRUIT

Date/Time-: 12/03/11         14:20

Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-    Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  TREE

Height/Length-7m

With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,
SCIENTIFIC OFFICER,
KAIGA ATOMIC POWER PLANT,
POST-KAIGA, U.K.DISTRICT,
KARNATAKA -581400
MOB : 9448999150
EMAIL : pakshir...@gmail.com
             kputt...@npcil.co.in
DSC_0108.JPG

Mahadeswara

Mar 13, 2011, 6:52:38 AM3/13/11
to efloraofindia
Diospyros sps?
> EMAIL : pakshirajka...@gmail.com
>              kputtar...@npcil.co.in
>
>  DSC_0108.JPG
> 390KViewDownload

Rashida Atthar

Mar 13, 2011, 7:07:15 AM3/13/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
More possibility for this to be Bridelia retusa - the leaf nerves and
venation a clue. More close- up pictures will be appreciated if
available.

regards,
Rashida.

Smita Raskar

Mar 13, 2011, 7:13:25 AM3/13/11
to Rashida Atthar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Diospyros malabarica?...  validate plz
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Nudrat

Mar 14, 2011, 1:48:24 PM3/14/11
to efloraofindia

On Mar 13, 4:13 pm, Smita Raskar <smita.ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Diospyros malabarica?...  validate plz
>
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> Hello,

The tree in question is neither Diospyros malabarica as the persistent
calyx is absent and nor is the tree Bridelia retusa as fruits of
Bridelia are shiny berries almost black in colour.

However i could be incorrect. Experts please comment

> > More possibility for this to be Bridelia retusa - the leaf nerves and
> > venation  a clue. More close- up pictures will be appreciated if
> > available.
>
> > regards,
> > Rashida.

Vijayasankar

Mar 14, 2011, 5:56:03 PM3/14/11
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Could it be a Myristicaceae member?

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Pardeshi S.

Mar 15, 2011, 4:33:06 AM3/15/11
to efloraofindia
Looks like Casaeria species...

satish pardeshi

Rashida Atthar

Mar 15, 2011, 9:24:17 AM3/15/11
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Nudrat ji the picture above  may or may  not be Bridelia. But the black berries of Bridelia retusa take time to turn black, before that they are of various colours- grey- green, green, yellowish, half green yellow maroon  and than turn black . Infact, most of the time I have seen them in unripe form only. You may check my pictures of the same posted last week.

regards,
Rashida.

vj

Mar 16, 2011, 12:04:18 PM3/16/11
to efloraofindia
Could it be lagerstroemia?

On Mar 15, 6:24 pm, Rashida Atthar <atthar.rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nudrat ji the picture above  may or may  not be Bridelia. But the black
> berries of Bridelia retusa take time to turn black, before that they are of
> various colours- grey- green, green, yellowish, half green yellow maroon
> and than turn black . Infact, most of the time I have seen them in unripe
> form only. You may check my pictures of the same posted last week.
>
> regards,
> Rashida.

Nudrat

Mar 17, 2011, 1:12:12 AM3/17/11
to efloraofindia
Hello,

I have seen Bridelia berries at all stages and have eaten them too.
They are quite sweet when ripe. I am confident that the tree in
picture is not Bridelia. It neither seems to be Lagerstroemia as the
leaves donot seem to be opposite.

I may be incorrect about Lagerstroemia.

Rashida Atthar

Mar 17, 2011, 2:36:14 AM3/17/11
to Nudrat, efloraofindia
Good to know you have eaten them Nudrat ji. So it is confirmed that they are edible ! Next time shall try the same. Thanks.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Mar 17, 2011, 5:15:31 AM3/17/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Mar 20, 2011, 4:28:50 AM3/20/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Mar 20, 2011, 4:29:29 AM3/20/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Ok Nudrat ji. The info. was just for those who may not have seen the same, if they see the earlier stages they may think it is some other tree than !

regards.
Rashida.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Nudrat Sayed <nudrat.cat@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I have seen Bridelia berries in all stages and that is the reason why i said that it is not Bridelia.

J.M. Garg

Jun 27, 2011, 8:38:29 AM6/27/11
to efloraofindia, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, noorie new, satish pardeshi, Nudrat, kottai muthu, Mahadeswara Swamy, smilingsmit, vijay.d...@gmail.com, PUTTARAJU K

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“The tree in question is neither Diospyros malabarica as the persistent

calyx is absent and nor is the tree Bridelia retusa

as fruits of

Bridelia are shiny berries almost black in colour.

However i could be incorrect. Experts please comment” from Nudrat ji.

Could it be a Myristicaceae member?
Regards
Vijayasankar Raman”

Looks like Casaeria species...

satish pardeshi”

"It could be Knema attenuata, please check it
Sincerely
R. Kottaimuthu"

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

DSC_0108.JPG

H S

Jun 27, 2011, 9:09:40 AM6/27/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, vinay...@gmail.com, vijay.b...@gmail.com, giby.ku...@gmail.com, adav...@gmail.com, noorie new, satish pardeshi, Nudrat, kottai muthu, Mahadeswara Swamy, smilingsmit, vijay.d...@gmail.com, PUTTARAJU K
It is Knema attenuata (syn. Myristica attenuata), from family Myristacaceae

A rare evergreen tree, mostly found in Evergreen forest.

regards,

--
- H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
stone