Queen of Spices - Cardamom at Madikeri

Dinesh Valke

Apr 13, 2011, 12:32:24 PM4/13/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Elettaria cardamomum (syn. Amomum cardamomum), a thorough native of south India ... optimum area for growing green cardamom is 8 - 13 degree N latitudes and 75 - 78 degree longitudes ... 600 to 1500 mtr above msl ... as put at the Spices Board India http://www.indianspices.com/html/s0621cdm.htm

Seen at Kodagu Valley Resort growing wild ... 31 MAR 11

.... commonly known as: cardamom, green cardamom, Malabar cardamom • Assamese: এলাচি elasi, ইলাচী ilasi • Bengali: এলা ela, এলাচ elacha • Gujarati: એલચી elchi, એલચીડોડો elchidodo • Hindi: छोटी इलायची choti elaichi, हरी इलायची hari elaichi, इलाची ilachi • Kannada: ಏಲಕ್ಕಿ elakki, ಯಾಲಕ್ಕಿ yaalakki • Kashmiri: ऐल् ail • Konkani: एळु ailu, येळु yelu • Malayalam: ഏലക്ക elakka, ഏലം elum, ഏലത്തരി eelaththari • Marathi: एलची elachi, एलदोडा eladoda, इलायची ilayachi • Nepali: अलैँचि alainchi • Oriya: upakuncika • Punjabi: ਛੋੱਟੀ ਇਲਾਚੀ chhotti ilachi • Sanskrit: एला ela • Tamil: ஏலம் elam, தாடிமம் tatimam • Telugu: ఏల ela, ఏలకి elaki, కోరంగి korangi • Tibetan: su-ksme, sug smel • Urdu: الاچي ilachi

Best reading about (any) spices: Gernot Katzer Spice Pages ... for cardamom - http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Elet_car.html

Regards.
Dinesh

P1360828.JPG
P1360789.JPG
P1360805.JPG
P1360824.JPG
P1360825.JPG
P1360827.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 13, 2011, 9:40:43 PM4/13/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks Dinesh ji for this great rare (for us) display.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

rajank

Apr 14, 2011, 7:58:59 AM4/14/11
to efloraofindia
Deneshji,

very good picture of plant of E. cardamomum(velchi) & it's flower.

thanks for posting.

rajank.

On Apr 13, 9:32 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> *Elettaria cardamomum* (syn. *Amomum cardamomum*), a thorough native of

> south India ... optimum area for growing green cardamom is 8 - 13 degree N
> latitudes and 75 - 78 degree longitudes ... 600 to 1500 mtr above msl ... as

> put at the Spices Board Indiahttp://www.indianspices.com/html/s0621cdm.htm

> Seen at Kodagu Valley Resort growing wild ... 31 MAR 11
>
> .... commonly known as: cardamom, green cardamom, Malabar cardamom •
> Assamese: এলাচি elasi, ইলাচী ilasi • Bengali: এলা ela, এলাচ elacha •
> Gujarati: એલચી elchi, એલચીડોડો elchidodo • Hindi: छोटी इलायची choti elaichi,
> हरी इलायची hari elaichi, इलाची ilachi • Kannada: ಏಲಕ್ಕಿ elakki, ಯಾಲಕ್ಕಿ
> yaalakki • Kashmiri: ऐल् ail • Konkani: एळु ailu, येळु yelu • Malayalam:
> ഏലക്ക elakka, ഏലം elum, ഏലത്തരി eelaththari • Marathi: एलची elachi, एलदोडा
> eladoda, इलायची ilayachi • Nepali: अलैँचि alainchi • Oriya: upakuncika •
> Punjabi: ਛੋੱਟੀ ਇਲਾਚੀ chhotti ilachi • Sanskrit: एला ela • Tamil: ஏலம் elam,
> தாடிமம் tatimam • Telugu: ఏల ela, ఏలకి elaki, కోరంగి korangi • Tibetan:
> su-ksme, sug smel • Urdu: الاچي ilachi
>
> Best reading about (any) spices: Gernot Katzer Spice Pages ... for cardamom
> -http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Elet_car.html
>
> Regards.
> Dinesh
>

>  P1360828.JPG
> 180KViewDownload
>
>  P1360789.JPG
> 160KViewDownload
>
>  P1360805.JPG
> 125KViewDownload
>
>  P1360824.JPG
> 173KViewDownload
>
>  P1360825.JPG
> 195KViewDownload
>
>  P1360827.JPG
> 185KViewDownload

Na Bha

Apr 15, 2011, 6:34:39 AM4/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I saw these Plans in Sikkim, when i was there in Jan. 2009. But i could not see the seed capsules. Are there any Fotos wth capsules?
TIA
Nalini

Dinesh Valke

Apr 15, 2011, 6:41:19 AM4/15/11
to Na Bha, efloraofindia
Unfortunately no photos of capsules from my side, at present, Nalini ji.
Regards.
Dinesh