Balanophora from Vietnam_RKC_03_25042011

Ritesh Kumar Choudhary

Apr 25, 2011, 9:42:25 AM4/25/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all,

Balanophora from Vietnam (could be B. fungosa). Pl validate.

Loc.: HonBa Natural Reserve, Vietnam

Date: 12th April, 2011.

Regards,
Ritesh.
DSC_0192.JPG

tanay bose

Apr 25, 2011, 10:33:53 AM4/25/11
to Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
This is 100%  Balanophora fungosa when it comes out of the
ground it will turn cream white in colour .. few week back one
my friend out here went for Vietnam trip he too brought back the
photo of this plant... he mistaking thought this to be a mushroom

tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 25, 2011, 12:19:35 PM4/25/11
to tanay bose, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
Yes Tanay and Ritesh
That reminds me of a similar plant my friend brought back from trip in J & K. For few days we thought it to be a fungus till we finally identified it as Balanophora involucrata. I published this as popular science article under the title "A flowering mushroom".

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Apr 25, 2011, 12:28:09 PM4/25/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Ritesh Kumar Choudhary, efloraofindia
So this is clear that not only my friend but quite a few people mistake this plant
as a mushroom!
tanay