Flora Picture of the year 2011Muthu Karthick

Muthu Karthick

Feb 4, 2011, 5:24:24 AM2/4/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
I submit this picture for 'Flora Picture of the Year-2011' as Gargji initiated. This notorious weed always gives gorgeous poses for camera; I love the medley of colour in this flower.
Name: Lantana camara L. var. aculeata (L.) Mold.
Family: Verbenaceae
Location: Bear Shola, Kodaikanal, Southern Western ghats
Date: 07 Nov 2010

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

Lantana camara.jpg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 13, 2011, 9:49:51 AM2/13/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Add this to the flower info:
lantana is a weed, which can overpower native vegetation easily. It spreads quickly and destroys whatever comes in its way. And to think that it came to India only during WWII. Its seeds are poisonous to birds and humans when raw.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

lavekar

Feb 14, 2011, 3:30:57 AM2/14/11
to efloraofindia
Dear all,

Lantana camara is having about 600 varities, it has medicinal value as
antimicrobial, antiseptic but it is toxic also mainly hepato toxic.

G.S.Lavekar,
Retired D.G., CCRAS
Presently, Sr.Consultant
NMPB-AYUSH GOI