Help ID

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi

Jan 16, 2011, 10:08:46 AM1/16/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Can any boy help id this pot plant?

Regards

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
http://calvinssimulatedreality.blogspot.com/
http://sites.google.com/site/butterflynortheast1/

Image0314.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 16, 2011, 10:13:32 AM1/16/11
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tradescantia spathacea

Also called Rhoeo spathacea or Rhoeo discolor....
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

tanay bose

Jan 16, 2011, 10:20:06 AM1/16/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Tradescantia spathacea (Rhoeo discolor)
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

tanay bose

Jan 16, 2011, 10:21:28 AM1/16/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, indian...@googlegroups.com
We used this plant to study meiosis in pollen
this plant has characteristic ring chromosome
Tanay

snehal patel

Jan 16, 2011, 10:11:42 AM1/16/11
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, indian...@googlegroups.com
It is Rhoeo discolor, commelinaceae

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 31, 2011, 11:34:43 AM1/31/11
to snehal patel, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Patel ji
Rhoeo discolor is now  known as Tradescantia spathacea

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

manudev madhavan

Feb 2, 2011, 8:57:04 AM2/2/11
to Gurcharan Singh, snehal patel, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, indian...@googlegroups.com

Am not much sure but, I don't think the plant is Tradescantia spathacea Sw. (Rhoeo discolor (L'Hér.) Hance) which is widely grown as an ornamental plant in India that develops an unusual ring of chromosomes during meiosis due to multiple translocations.

However, one more plant which exactly looks like Tradescantia spathacea Sw. is common in our area. I have never seen that plant in flowering, which shows an unsual branching branching pattern, which develops offshoots near by and forms a cluster in short time. Leaves are also different from that of Rhoeo discolor ( the circumscription of the genus is still a matter of debate among taxonomists..??? However, according to the latest plant checklist the correct name is Tradescantia spathacea) and I think, the photo belongs to that plant.. I am not much sure about the status of this plant, which might be, another "exotic"species or another variety of the genus, according to my guide. We have a plant in our garden and still we are looking for flowers, as they are continuosly giving offshoots only as  a mode of  multiplication. Chandanji, please let us know if you find any flowers...!!!

And also if anyone have idea about the circumscription of this plant, please share.....!!

with warm regards

Manudev K Madhavan
Systematic & Floristic Lab,
Department of Botany,
Centre for Postgraduate Studies & Research
St. Joseph's College, Devagiri
Kozhikode- 673 008
Mob: 9496470738

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 1, 2011, 8:18:33 AM3/1/11
to efloraofindia, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, snehal patel, manudev madhavan, mayur nandikar, Ritesh Choudhary
Resurfacing again for ID confirmation

Earlier feedback

The plant was identified as Tradescantia spathacea (syn: Rhoeo discolor) by Pankaj ji, Tanay, me and Snehal ji, but Manudev ji thinks it to be a different plant. He comments:

[...]

Kindly give your opinion.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
Image0314.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 1, 2011, 8:35:36 AM3/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, TANAY BOSE, snehal patel, manudev madhavan, mayur nandikar, Ritesh Choudhary
Tradescantia spathacea
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 1, 2011, 8:36:41 AM3/1/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, TANAY BOSE, snehal patel, manudev madhavan, mayur nandikar, Ritesh Choudhary
I am sorry, I didnt realise that I had already given my comments earlier.
Pankaj