23072011-BS-3 Id of a Shrub from Karnal roadside area

Balkar Arya

Jul 22, 2011, 8:38:22 PM7/22/11
to indiantreepix
dear All
pls id this Shrub Shot from roadside area in Panipat haryana. Yellow flowers small round fruits about 1-1.5 cm. To me it looks like Grewia

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
IMG_5853Sm.JPG
IMG_5854Sm.JPG
IMG_5856Sm.JPG
IMG_5857Sm.JPG
IMG_5858Sm.JPG
IMG_5859Sm.JPG
IMG_5860Sm.JPG
IMG_5861Sm.JPG

Nayan Singh

Jul 22, 2011, 10:42:22 PM7/22/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
looks like Grewia tilifolia ?
 Thanks
Nayan.
N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100
Jul 23, 2011, 12:33:44 AM7/23/11
to efloraofindia
Grewia species for sure . Whether this is T. tiliaefolia or T.asiatica
need to be checked by comparing the floral/ vegetative characters for
confirmation.
>  IMG_5853Sm.JPG
> 368KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5854Sm.JPG
> 299KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5856Sm.JPG
> 309KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5857Sm.JPG
> 300KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5858Sm.JPG
> 230KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5859Sm.JPG
> 180KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5860Sm.JPG
> 209KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5861Sm.JPG
> 247KViewDownload

Satish Phadke

Jul 23, 2011, 4:09:53 AM7/23/11
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
I think this is Grewia asiatica
as the leaves are more or less symmetrical.
Ref Neil ji's work and observations.
I am attaching  a table of comparison done earlier by me.Post No. [Efloraindia:34287]
After searching all the available literature I am convinced that the plant depicted in this mail by me(Both the sets of pictures) is Grewia tiliifolia(And not G.asiatica)
Attaching a table showing the differences compiled together.
If there are any mistakes and errors please correct me.
Agreed that it is a big tree but the species observed by me happen to be small shrub like tree which might attain huge height.
Regards
Dr Phadke Satish

Grewia tiliifolia

Grewia asiatica

Synonyms

G.tilaefolia;Grewia tiliifolia var.leptopetala,G.inequalis

G.subinaequalis

Local Names

Dhaman; Rodgi;Sonsaman;Tadsal(BSI)

Phalsi(BSI);Phalsa

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild, common in deciduous forests

Cultivated for fruits; also found wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Large tree 3-8m(BSI)30-35 Feet;bark pale brown(Cooke)

Large shrub or small tree(BSI; EfP)

Stipules

Foliaceous(BSI);Leafy falcate,auricledwith a rounded lobe on the lower side,veined(Cooke), Leafy falcate auriculate(Brandis)

Not foliaceous,broadly ovate or suborbicular(BSI),Linear lanceolate(Cooke) Linear(Brandis)Hairy narrowly oblique-lanceolate,falcate(EfP)Linear lanceolate acute,Nearly as long as the petiole(Cooke)

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

1.5-11.583.2-6cm(BSI)Ovate,acuminate at apex;obliquely cordate at base. Margins serrate to crenulate serrate. Glabrescent above, pubescent or tomentose beneath(BSI)6 nerves on the leaf 3 on the larger and 2 on the smaller side of midrib(Cooke)

7.5-16*6-12.5cm(BSI);Ovate to orbiculate(EfP)Acute or subacuminate at apex. Obliquely cordate or rounded at base(BSI). Scabrous(rough)above,tomentose below(EfP).Both half more symmetric.(Neil)Petiole 1/2 inch long thicker at the top(Cooke)

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Cymose(BSI)Buds obovoid oblong or subglobose,tomentose(Cooke)

Umbellate cymes(BSI) Cymes 3 flowered,peduncle2-3cm(EfP)Buds obovate oblong ribbed,pubescent(Cooke)

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Yellow, stamens many,Petals bifid or notched at apex or entire or slightly emarginate at apex(BSI) Petals half long as sepals,oblong spathulate entire or notched,ovary villous,style longer than stamens(Cooke)

Yellow bracteate,stamens many(BSI) Orange yellow,2cm across,pedicel 1.5cm,Stamens numerous(EfP)Petals 2/3the length od sepals(Cooke)

Petal gland; Ovary stigma

0.5mm long(BSI)Stigma 4 lobed(EfP) gland 1/3 the length of petal,stigma somewhat irregularly 5 lobed(Cooke)

Petal gland with white hairy margins(BSI)Ovary globose,strigose,stigma indistinctly 4 lobed(EfP)Gland 1/3 the length of petal,ovary villous(Cooke)

Drupes

0.5-0.7 cm across,entire or 2 lobed,sparsely hirsute(BSI)

Globose,1-2 lobed hairy(BSI)(Cooke)

Fls. And fruits

Apr-Jun

Apr-Sep

shivaprakash adavanne

Jul 23, 2011, 5:04:10 AM7/23/11
to Balkar Arya, indian...@googlegroups.com
And, peduncles longer than petioles, thus G subinaequalis.
regards
a.shivaprakash

H S

Jul 23, 2011, 6:11:31 AM7/23/11
to shivaprakash adavanne, Balkar Arya, indian...@googlegroups.com
Even i guess G. ubinaequalis, but surely not G. tiliaefolia, G. asiatica, G. laviegata, G. disperma

regards,

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Balkar Arya

Jul 23, 2011, 11:23:52 AM7/23/11
to H S, shivaprakash adavanne, indian...@googlegroups.com
After observing the characters again Agree with Grewia asiatica Syn G. ubinaequalis
thanks all for getting right Id

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM, H S <hemsan.bh@gmail.com> wrote:
Even i guess , but surely not G. tiliaefolia, G. asiatica, G. laviegata, G. disperma