Request for ID : Oman : 310511 : AK-3

Aarti S. Khale

May 31, 2011, 10:06:31 AM5/31/11
to efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar
Taken at Muscat, Oman....first two pictures on the 8th of Feb, 2008
and other two on the 22nd of Feb, 2008.
Bushes found growing in the sand.
Dr Pankaj ji had identified similar bushes from Rajasthan if I am not
wrong, but those had no flowers/pods. They were only bushes.
Aarti
P1030608.JPG
P1030615.JPG
P1030651.JPG
P1030655.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

May 31, 2011, 10:25:36 AM5/31/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Calligonum polygonoides
Family: Polygonaceae

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 31, 2011, 10:40:47 AM5/31/11
to efloraofindia
Other plant was most probably Capparis decidua. This is a true
representation of desert flora.
Pankaj

Aarti S. Khale

May 31, 2011, 10:57:27 AM5/31/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Pankaj ji....
I never thought I would get the name for this one!
Regards,
Aarti

Aarti S. Khale

May 31, 2011, 2:07:34 PM5/31/11
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Oct 18, 2011, 2:18:35 AM10/18/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, prasanna gogate, J. M. Garg
Pankaj ji,
I think I have found the correct id of this bush from Oman.
Had borrowed a book recently 'Wild Plants of Oman' by Helen Pickering
& Annette Palzelt.
This seems to be Calligonum comosum, common name Fire Bush.
Kindly validate.
Regards,
Aarti

J.M. Garg

Feb 19, 2012, 6:24:40 AM2/19/12
to efloraofindia, devendra...@yahoo.com, dr.rahu...@gmail.com, skvbt...@yahoo.com, Amit Kotia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Aarti S. Khale

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Calligonum polygonoides
Family: Polygonaceae

Pankaj”

“Other plant was most probably Capparis decidua. This is a true
representation of desert flora.
Pankaj

“Pankaj ji,

I think I have found the correct id of this bush from Oman.
Had borrowed a book recently 'Wild Plants of Oman' by Helen Pickering & Annette Palzelt.
This seems to be Calligonum comosum, common name Fire Bush.
Kindly validate.
Regards,

Aarti”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1800 members & 1,06,000 messages on 31/1/12) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 6000 species).

P1030608.JPG
P1030615.JPG
P1030651.JPG
P1030655.JPG

J.M. Garg

Feb 25, 2012, 3:19:37 AM2/25/12
to efloraofindia, devendra...@yahoo.com, dr.rahu...@gmail.com, skvbt...@yahoo.com, Amit Kotia, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, Aarti S. Khale
A reply from Dr. Kotia:
"many thanks Mr Garg
for sending me such a beautiful photograph of desert plants
I am in Jharkhand and without any literature
yes this is Calligonum speceis
I remember Dr Pankaj show me one of fruit photograph when we were in WII

and i told him about the genus Calligonum but not sure about the
species because

you can check in following link   in Flora of Pakisthan

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=242100034

This species is sometimes treated as a subspecies of Calligonum
polygonoides L. but can easily be differentiated from the latter by
having smaller leaves, larger nuts and pedicel mostly shorter or
sometimes equalling the perianth lobes.

1. Calligonum comosum L'Herit in Trans. Linn. Soc. London. 1:80. 1791;
Boiss., l.c. 1000; Rech.f. & Schiman-Czeika, l.c. 44; R.R.Stewart,
Ann. Cat. Vasc. Pl. W.Pak. Kashm. 201. 1972; Mandaville, Fl. East.
Saudi Arabia 107. 1990; Chaudhary, l.c. (Fig.30, C-D).
Calligonum polygonoides L. subsp. comosum L’ Hér, Trans. Linn. Soc.
London 1: 80. 1791; Boulos, Fl. Egypt 24. 1999.
Shrub, up to 2 m tall, stem branched, branches fascicled, somewhat
whitish, glaucous. Leaves subulate, 1-5 mm long. Flowers in long
clusters. Perianth segments 5, 3-4 mm long, 2-3 mm broad. Fruit 12-13
mm across. Nut fusiform, somewhat twisted, 7-8 mm long, 3 mm broad,
4-ribbed, ribs setose, setae seriate, 3-5 times branched, dilated and
± connate at the base, soft or little fragile.
Fl. Per.: March-April.
Type: In Aegypt, Lippi: Barbaria Desf.