Fwd: Patri's for Lord Ganesha

Satish Phadke

Jul 16, 2011, 5:58:19 AM7/16/11
to indiantreepix Indian
Recently Celastrus paniculatus (Jyotishmati) was mentioned by somebody as one of the Patri's offered to  Lord Ganesha. Somehow this plant doesn't figure in the list provided below. Of course there are variations in the literature.
Dr Phadke

Jul 16, 2011, 9:42:56 AM7/16/11
to efloraofindia
Excellent compilation.

On Jul 16, 2:58 pm, Satish Phadke <phadke.sat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently *Celastrus paniculatus* (Jyotishmati) was mentioned by somebody as

Balkar Arya

Jul 16, 2011, 9:44:21 AM7/16/11
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Nice Information Satish Ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

renee vyas vyas

Jul 16, 2011, 12:53:32 PM7/16/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix Indian
Thanks Satishji.....very valuable information.

Regards,

Renee

Chitralekha

Jul 16, 2011, 1:09:14 PM7/16/11
to efloraofindia
Here is my list of the 21 patris used in Ganesh puja. As Satish ji
mentioned there are variations not only in the sanskrit names of the
plants but also in the identification of the plants based on the
sanskrit names. However, all the plants are medicinally very
important.
1. Machi - Artemisia nilagirica, Asteraceae
2. Bhruhati - Solanum indicum, Solanaceae
3. Bilva - Aegle marmelos, Rutaceae
4. Durvayugma - Cyanodon dactylon, Poaceae
5. Dhatura - Datura metel/ D. stromonium, Solanaceae
6. Badari - Ziziphus mauritiana, Rhamnaceae
7. Apamarga - Achyranthes aspera, Amaranthaceae
8. Tulasi - Ocimum tenuiflorum, Lamiaceae
9. Vishnu kranta - Evolvulus alsinoides, Convolvulaceae
10. Dadima - Punica granatum, Punicaceae
11. Devadaru - Cedrus deodara, Pinaceae (Gymnosperm)
12. Maruvam /Marva - Origanum majorana/ O.vulgare, Lamiaceae
13. Sindhuvara - Vitex negundo, Verbenaceae
14 Jaji/Jati - Jasminum auriculatum, Oleaceae; some identify it as
Myristica fragrans (Jai), Myristicaceae
15. Shami - Prosopis cineraria, Mimosaceae
16. Ashwadha/ashvattha - Ficus religiosa, Moraceae
17. Arjuna - Terminalia arjuna, Combretaceae
18. Arka - Calotropis procera, Asclepiadaceae
19. Choota - Mangifera indica, Anacardiaceae
20. Karaveera - Nerium oleander/ Thevetia peruviana, Apocynaceae
21. Gandaki - Sterculia urens, Sterculiaceae
Four more names were added to the list in Bhavishya purana -
Bringaraja - Eclipta alba, Asteraceae
Malati/madhavilata - Hiptage benghalensis, Malpighiaceae
Ketaki - Pandanus oderatissimus, Pandanaceae and
Agasthya - Sesbania grandiflora, Papilionaceae
What puzzled me is the inclusion of a gymnosperm - devadaru (Cedrus)
in the list which is not easily available. But a search in the
internet yielded this information :
Forests full of Devadaru trees were the favorite abode or living place
of ancient Indian sages and their families who were devoted to Hindu
god Shiva. To please Lord Shiva, the sages used to perform very
difficult tapasya (meditation) in deodar forests. There is regular
mention of Darukavana, meaning a forest of deodars, as a sacred place
in the ancient Hindu epics and Shaivite texts.
Regards,
Chitralekha

prasanna gogate

Jul 16, 2011, 1:41:13 PM7/16/11
to Chitralekha, efloraofindia
dear all
celastrus panicualatus is an excellent brain tonic. Lord Ganesh is god of VIDYA therefore  in our region fruits are hanging over the head of ganesha. oil of this species is the best brain tonic in Ayurveda. I think this is excellent traditional method for plant conservation. thank you
--
regards,
PRASANNA PADMAKAR GOGATE

C/O SUHAS GOVILKAR
AT-GIMHAVANE
PO/TAL-DAPOLI
DIS-RATNAGIRI
STATE-MAHARASHTRA
PIN-415712
PHONE-09420308062
               09637550202

Ushadi micromini

Jul 17, 2011, 4:37:45 AM7/17/11
to efloraofindia
Also, here in Bengal, we also offer Durva ghas...
some people even make them up to look like durva in silver as
permanent
offering

Usha di
===