Malvaceae week :: Firmiana colorata

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2011, 5:39:06 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
Firmiana colorata (Roxb.) R.Br.
  • fer-mee-AY-nuh -- named for Joseph von Firmian, Imperial Governor of Lombardy
    kol-oh-RAY-tuh or kol-oh-RAH-tuh -- colored

Firmiana colorata
Apr 14, 2010 along Palghar Road in ghat section

commonly known as: bonfire tree, buttressed parasol tree, colored sterculia, Indian almond, scarlet sterculia • Assamese: jari-udal • Bengali: মূলা mula • Hindi: bodula, samari, walena • Kannada: ಬಿಳಿಸುಲಿಗೆ bilisulige • Konkani, in Goa: खोलथे kholthe • Malayalam: മലബരത്തി malabaraththi • Marathi: कौशी kaushi • Miri: kath-udal • Tamil: மலப்பருத்தி malapparutti

Native to: India, Myanmar, Thailand, Sri Lanka

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 8, 2011, 5:50:16 AM9/8/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
I thought fruits and vegetables was our best monthly episode but seeing contributions, especially from you, Prashant ji and other members, this episode is becoming another very successful one.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2011, 6:09:07 AM9/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji ... just matter of how time becomes available for me. And of course depends on my collection to suit the week.

Fruits and Vegetables was almost the entire plant kingdom ... thus, any and all in my collection was a favourable post.
Again, this Malvaceae has one of the biggest shares ... to top it, few other families got within it.

Got some time at hand for some hours today ... and also have to compensate for my irregular attendance !!

Regards.
Dinesh

Mohina Macker

Sep 8, 2011, 9:19:56 AM9/8/11
to efloraofindia
Adding an image of fresh leaves to Dinesh's wonderful flower photographs
june, my place, alibaug
regards
mohina
IMG_0070 a.jpg