Solanaceae Week: Capsicum annuum ornamental chilli pepper

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2011, 8:55:08 AM4/7/11
to efloraofindia
Capsicum annuum 'Ornamental Chilli Pepper'
Ornamental chilli pepper recently developed cultivars are now becoming popular as potted plants and sold in reputed stores and nurseries.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Capsicum-annuum-ornamental-chilli-pepper-California-1.jpg
Capsicum-annuum-ornamental-chilli-pepper-California-2.jpg

Na Bha

Apr 7, 2011, 10:06:14 AM4/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Is it ornamental in the sence, it is not eaten? not good for eating?

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2011, 10:33:21 AM4/7/11
to Na Bha, efloraofindia
Yes Nalini ji, edible but as these erect small chilli peppers (formerly C. frutescencs) are very hot. These ornamental chilli peppers are sold at the time of christmas along with Poinsetia and other popular plants hence also named as Christmas Pepper.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Na Bha

Apr 7, 2011, 2:54:55 PM4/7/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you!

Yazdy Palia

Apr 8, 2011, 5:39:27 AM4/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Na Bha, efloraofindia
Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
They are so pungent that once I had left some in my pant pocket and
got wet during the monsoon. I forgot to remove the chilli from the
pocket till evening. When I went for my bath, I realized that it had
scalded my skin. They are deadly.
Regards.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Apr 8, 2011, 10:36:21 AM4/8/11
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, Na Bha, efloraofindia
In Latehar dist in Jharkhand, one small green chilly was found which was as deadly as probably this one. they said that its continuous use would surely give you ulcer after a month or so.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road