ID requested:DS08062011_SN1

Dalia Set

Jun 8, 2011, 5:45:06 AM6/8/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This shot was taken by one of my friend -  Raj.
We are interested to know the id of this large acquatic plant on which the parakeet was nibbling.
Please help.

Thanks
Dalia Set

.

rrp300511.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Jun 8, 2011, 8:10:28 AM6/8/11
to Dalia Set, efloraofindia
Dalia ji:
My first response is to say it looks like the underside of a water
lily leaf...

but then looking close... all leaves have the spicules/thorns.... all
leaves could not be upside down, unless a nearby pond was just cleaned
out and rubbish thrown, where the underside of all the leaves is now
on top...

but then I may be missing something... and may be there is a
frakensteinine aquatic plant that has such numerous thorns/ spicules
on top surface.... some more astute or experienced botanists would
know...

Secondly, the parakeet seems to be muddy head to toe... some sort of
mishap, may be... intriguing....

may be your friend may yet tell us the story attached to this
tableau...

>  rrp300511.jpg
> 248KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 8, 2011, 10:02:21 AM6/8/11
to Ushadi micromini, Dalia Set, efloraofindia
It is Euryale ferox, the foxnut, the source of MAKHANA so commonly used in so many Korma veg. preparations.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

ushadi Micromini

Jun 8, 2011, 12:37:25 PM6/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dalia Set, efloraofindia
Gurucharanji:
namste namaste...Guru....
my hat's off to you...
it goes to show what a lot I have to learn, ....changing personal interest from cancer to botany is not an easy task , at least in the beginning....

Only last week I discovered that makhana is "Lotus seeds popped like a popcorn".... from the net.... once it said lotus seed... i stopped.... lotus is a lotus...I thought...never realizing that the people who sell makhana on the net or give recipes are not there to give accurate information, but only to boost their sales or get google ads for least effort for their website.......

I should have searched on a little more..
but never mind... I was destined to learn the truth... and who better from...
thank you...
but why thorns on the upper surface, what possible defense can it do?

Usha di
=======

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 9, 2011, 2:31:07 AM6/9/11
to ushadi Micromini, Dalia Set, efloraofindia
Here are mine from Delhi, grown in Herbal Garden in Punjabi Bagh, New Delhi

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Euryale-ferox-Delhi-1.jpg
Euryale-ferox-Delhi-2.jpg

ushadi Micromini

Jun 9, 2011, 2:43:13 AM6/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dalia Set, efloraofindia
yes very nice, thanks...
usha di

======

Dalia Set

Jun 9, 2011, 2:49:00 AM6/9/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Oh, nice - seems the young leaves are crunched but becomes smoother when ages.

Thanks
Dalia