GARDEN / LANDSCAPE :: Poaceae » Zoysia japonicum

Dinesh Valke

Dec 16, 2010, 12:43:39 PM12/16/10
to efloraofindia
Poaceae (formerly and a.k.a. Gramineae) » Zoysia japonicum ... dear friends, please validate this ID.
Synonyms: Osterdamia japonica, Zoysia koreana

ZOY-shuh or ZOY-see-uh -- named for Karl von Zois (or Zoys), Austrian botanist
juh-PON-ih-kuh -- of or from Japan

commonly known as: Japanese lawn grass, Korean lawn grass, Korean temple grass, zoysia grass

Native of: s-e and e Asia, Australasia; naturalized / cultivated elsewhere

... at Nirvana Park, Powai, Mumbai 12 APR 07
533121139_35397b3270_b.jpg

tanay bose

Dec 16, 2010, 1:06:26 PM12/16/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I think you are correct its also called carpet grass seen in many parks
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 16, 2010, 4:35:54 PM12/16/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
There are more than one grass that is being used on Lawn, called with
various names, KENYA GRASS, JAPANESE GRASS, LAWN GRASS, CARPET GRASS,
MEXICAN CARPET GRASS, FLAT GRASS etc.
So with this picture its not possible to make out.
Flowers may help.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 16, 2010, 4:42:57 PM12/16/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Carpet grass planted in Delhi and other parts of North India is cushion like with very narrow almost needle like leaves. It is Axonopus compressus.

Normal lawn grass is doob grass, Cynodon dactylon

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Pankaj Kumar

Dec 16, 2010, 4:57:20 PM12/16/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Yeah I was about to say, people even use Cynodon but I thought I am
too bad with grasses to identify even Cynodon.
Even more than one species of Axonopus is used at different places.
Regards
Pankaj

Dinesh Valke

Dec 16, 2010, 10:42:19 PM12/16/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Many thanks Pankaj and Gurcharan ji for bringing to light about several species being used for lawns.
Hopefully, will get some close-ups next time I visit the park.
Pessimistic about getting to see it flower; meaning - got a feeling that these "exotic" lawn grasses do not flower.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 16, 2010, 10:46:28 PM12/16/10
to Dinesh Valke, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Rather, any one maintaining the lawn won't allow it to flower through regular mowing. Leave a small patch undisturbed, and hope it flowers.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

C KUNHIKANNAN

Dec 19, 2010, 1:08:20 PM12/19/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
This grass not Axonopus compressus or Cynodon dactylon it is something
else. The first one generally grows well in shaded places and with
flat short leaves and even flat stems.
kunhikannan

--
Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 19, 2010, 8:51:42 PM12/19/10
to C KUNHIKANNAN, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Kunhikannan ji
None of us wrote that above plant is Cynodon or Axonopus.  Myself and Pankaj ji were discussing what other species are used as lawn grasses.