Fruits & Vegetables Week: RVS-8

Vijayasankar

Jan 4, 2011, 11:03:39 PM1/4/11
to indiatreepix
Called as 'Bangalore Brinjal'. Commonly cultivated for its vegetable fruits.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

sechium edule_1.JPG
sechium edule_2.JPG
sechium edule_3.JPG
sechium edule_4.JPG
sechium edule_5.JPG

Muthu Karthick

Jan 5, 2011, 12:38:36 AM1/5/11
to Vijayasankar, indiatreepix

This Tropical American plant is called as 'Seema-Kathirikkai, Chow-chow' in Tamil.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

tanay bose

Jan 5, 2011, 12:53:35 AM1/5/11
to Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Very common in Northeastern hills
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2011, 1:07:55 AM1/5/11
to tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
I knew it as Chayote squash as sold in American markets. I have seen in in Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri, sold as squash but never heard the name Bengal Brinjal. Markets here in california also sell a spiny cultivar known as "Espinoda"

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Sechium-edule-Espinoda-P1030795.JPG
Sechium-edule-Chayote-fruit-market.jpg

Muthu Karthick

Jan 5, 2011, 3:09:02 AM1/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
I think this plant grows only in high altitudes.
The Tamil word, 'Seemai-kathirikai' means Country-brinjal

tanay bose

Jan 5, 2011, 9:06:48 AM1/5/11
to Muthu Karthick, Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
We too simply call it squash never heard of the term bengali brinjal !!
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2011, 11:32:14 AM1/5/11
to tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Muthu ji
Let us say temperate climate. In California it is growing at sea level.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar

Jan 5, 2011, 11:57:34 AM1/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, indiatreepix
Dear Gurcharan ji and Tanay, i wrote as 'Bangalore' brinjal and not as 'Bengali' brinjal. Sorry for the confusion.
Hi Muthu, i think the word 'Seemai' in this context refers to its origin as 'non-native'. [e.g. Seemai agathi = Senna alata; Seemail mullu = Prosopis juliflora; Seemai athi = Ficus carica....all these are exotics].

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2011, 1:19:14 PM1/5/11
to Vijayasankar, tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, indiatreepix
Sorry for confusion, Vijayasankar ji
It all arose since I have seen this fruit in Bengal markets. Would be interesting to know whether it in grown in Bangalore.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Jency Samuel

Jan 5, 2011, 2:18:23 PM1/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, indiatreepix

Yeah Muthu, I think for 'country' or native variety we say 'naattu'. ' Seemai' refers to 'foreign' ,meaning non-native.

Jency
Chennai

Muthu Karthick

Jan 6, 2011, 1:15:25 AM1/6/11
to Jency Samuel, Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, tanay bose, indiatreepix
 Sorry for my misunderstanding Jencyji and Vijay sir. Now am clear of the terms and the cultivar of temperate climate